ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position: Analyst Program, Analytics Team
Term of Employment: Three years of commitment required
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: January 27, 2020
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience, and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoA), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate the development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great teamwork to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training, and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
As ATA’s strategic advisory and consulting function, the Analytics Team works with Directors and Senior Directors within the organization, as well as senior leadership at partners in government, multilateral and bilateral donors, NGOs and private sector companies, to execute high-impact, analytically challenging projects. The team applies an approach similar to top strategy consulting firms and government strategy units to support partners to more effectively bring together strategic, analytical, technical and operational capabilities required for transformation. Please see http://www.ata.gov.et/programs/analytics/ for additional details.
As the entry point for new graduates or candidates with up to one year of work experience, our 3-year Analyst Program is an extremely fast-paced and varied experience, often quite challenging but also very rewarding. After an initial 3 weeks of onboarding and training, Analysts in the program work with other members of the Analytics Team in three to five-person case teams, completing three to five client cases per year on diverse topics. Analysts, therefore, have the chance to work closely with extraordinary colleagues and learn from senior client staff and stakeholders. They are expected to quickly take on increasing seniority and responsibilities. Rapid development and growth is supported by a best-in-class training and professional development program with approximately 150 training hours in total in the first three years. Each Analyst also receives daily coaching and frequent feedback based on his or her specific development needs and can participate in rotations with other teams at ATA.
The 3-year program, therefore, offers a highly unique experience and provides each analyst with a set of capabilities and tools that can serve as a major strength throughout his or her career. ATA also offers a highly competitive salary. After eighteen to twenty-four months, Analysts who perform well can be promoted to the Senior Analyst role. Senior Analysts take on greater responsibilities including delivering more complex and challenging workstreams independently and starting to oversee the work of Analysts, supported through a progressive training curriculum, regular coaching, and feedback.
At the end of the 3-year program, the best performing Senior Analysts will be invited to join the Analytics Leadership program, which includes an award for graduate study abroad before returning to ATA to continue as Associate Case Team Leader (with a 3-year commitment).
ATA Analytics’ Analyst Program is a fantastic opportunity for young graduates who are highly motivated and passionate about their own development and about making a difference to drive change at a national scale and impact the lives of millions of Ethiopians!.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Plan, prioritize and manage workstreams from start to finish, including data collection, analysis, and content development, stakeholder input, and validation, and ensure required timelines and quality standards are met.
Identify and structure problems, develop key hypotheses and innovative solutions, and apply suitable analytical frameworks and approaches to test this hypothesis and solutions.
Identify and acquire relevant quantitative and qualitative data using a range of applied and pragmatic techniques, quality control data to ensure validity and accuracy.
Organize and conduct interviews with up to mid-manager level stakeholders, plan and execute other critical stakeholder management activities.
Execute wide range of analysis drawing on best practice approaches used in public and private sectors, and from various academic fields, to generate critical and actionable insights for partners.
Produce high-quality presentations and/or written documents.
Proactively and frequently engage with senior staff to seek input and enhance outputs, identify risks and issues affecting timely delivery of workstreams, and promptly communicate upward with solution options and recommendations.
Present ideas and respond to queries clearly and concisely in internal and external discussions.
Effectively manage operational activities (e.g. scheduling, logistical and financial organization of field trips and workshops, procurement processes, etc.) for delivery of workstreams.
Bachelor’s or Master's degree in any field with a minimum GPA of 3.4 and above, and up to 12 months of professional experience.
Knowledge of agriculture is not required, but applicants should have a strong interest in agricultural and economic development in Ethiopia.
Genuine intellectual curiosity and desire to innovate and bring large-scale change.
Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills.
Collaborative mindset and a team player.
Strong desire to learn, highly coachable and values frequent, constructive feedback.
Committed to staying at ATA for at least 3 years.
Fluent in English and Amharic, with strong written and oral communication skills.
Project Officer (SMART – WASH Project)
Amref Health Africa is an African-led international health development organization headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. Founded in 1957 as the Flying Doctors of East Africa to bring critical health services to remote communities, Amref Health Africa envisions bringing lasting health change for Africain more than 30 countries across the continent. With a focus on women and children, the organization strives to overcome the most critical health challenges facing the continent: maternal and child health, HIV & TB, malaria, water and sanitation, and health systems strengthening. Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia has been working in Ethiopia since 2002 in close collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health implementing a range of projects in maternal, neonatal and child health, reproductive health, health systems strengthening, health workforce development, water and sanitation, HIV/AIDS and non-communicable diseases across the country, supported by a wide range of multilateral and bilateral donors, corporates and foundations.
Amref Health Africa would like to recruit a Project Officer based in the Gambella field office and will report to the Project Manager.
Purpose of the Job:
The main purpose of the job is to implement Amref Health Africa in Ethiopia’s SMART project which mainly focuses to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all; end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture; and promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all. She/he will report to the Project Manager and works with the project assistant to implement the project in Gambella.
The job holders will be based in Gambella and report to the Project manager.
- Design, plan, implement, monitor SMART project activities
- Compile monthly, quarterly and annual report and submit to project activity Manager
- Supervise field activities progress
- Support project activities including technical support
- Organizing, facilitating workshops and training in communities, institutions, Women groups schools, out of schools, natural, local leaders and other partners.
- Facilitate and participate in meetings and workshops.
- Facilitate community mobilization activities
- Participate in research activities
- In collaboration with project, staff boosts the quality implementation of the project activities as per the project objectives and operational plans.
- Direct supervision and implementation of project activities.
- Compile report periodic internal and donor reports: monitor and report on relevant activities and outcome/impact and submit to M &E and program manager.
- Manage activity budgets including processing relevant financial transactions and implement the activities.
- Ensure collaboration and coordination with government and with other relevant partners, stakeholders
- Involve in site selection, feasibility assessment and monitoring of WASH schemes
- Implement economic empowerment activities for youth and women groups
- Organize, document and compile basic data on SMART project and community in the project implementation area
- Identify gaps in various activities and provide/propose relevant materials to the program manager
- Undertakes other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- BSC in environmental health, water-related engineering, water resources, or any WASH-related fields
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience which are directly WASH
- Professional work experience at implementing, Sanitation Marketing, CLTSH/ on economic empowerment approaches
- Excellent computer skill; Microsoft office ( word, excel and PowerPoint), SPSS and navigating the internet
- The candidate must have strong analytical, problem-solving and networking skills.
- Should be a team player and work under minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of the local context, local language & NGO experience is a plus
Terms of employment: 1 year with the possibility of extension based on the availability of fund and performance
Four Square is an innovative provider of Voice-based Solutions and Web-Based Solution Products that add value to enterprises across the Business Value Chain. Four Square helps businesses drive efficiency by delivering Innovative yet seemingly simple solutions.
Sales and Marketing Executive is to promote and sell company products by demonstrating the advanced technical functions of the product as well as its uses and benefits.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Sourcing potential new customers.
- Maintaining regular contact with existing customers.
- Travelling to the customer's location to talk about our product range.
- Demonstrating the technical features and benefits of our products.
- Advising customers on technology upgrades and related products.
- Composing tender documents and customer proposals.
- Generating purchase orders and sales receipts.
- Maintaining strong customer relations.
- Attending product training courses and seminars.
- Meeting sales targets.
- Any Degree
- Ability to Read, Write & Speak Amharic
- Ability to Read, Write & Speak English
- Strong communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of computer systems and Office Software.
- Ability to meet sales and commission targets.
- Ability to travel
Nutrition Education and Community Mobilization Officer
(Chifra and Teru Woredas), Afar and (Tselemti), Tigray
Mothers and Children Multisectoral Development Organization (MCMDO) is an Ethiopian resident charity organization registered in accordance with the charities and societies proclamation No 1113/2019 with a certificate No 0022. MCMDO currently is implementing more than 24 projects and development activities in Oromiya, SNNPR, Somali, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Tigray, Amhara, Harari, Afar, Dire Dawa, and City Administration of Addis Ababa.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare work plan Nutrition Education and community mobilization component of CMAM/IMAM in the local context based on the project strategies and major intervention areas
- Participate during CMAM-IYCF-E training prepared for a health extension worker
- Regularly mentor and monitor health facilities using the standard IYCF scorecard
- Strengthen routine community mobilization and screening of Malnutrition
- Identify and map the existing community mobilization structure at the community level and linkage with primary health care unit
- Strengthen identified existing community mobilization structure through Training and regular on the job mentoring
- Facilitate, assign and supervise Nutrition community mobilization of the project to reach out to hard to reach the area where there is a high caseload
- Utilize TFP and TSFP monthly admission spatial distribution and trend in close collaboration with TFP supervisor
- Participate in treatment coverage assessment and identify coverage bottleneck for appropriate action in collaboration with Field Nutrition coordinator
- Establish Mother support group among CMAM beneficiaries and bright spot child and mother from the community
- Provide technical support for health facilities and WoHO on routine screening and community mobilization
- Facilitate regular review meeting between HEW and WDA for improved performance of community sensitization and mobilization
- Organize cooking demonstration at TSFP and TFP sites using locally available and nutritional diversified food
- Facilitate integration of IYC F- E at CMAM contact point and community level
- Organize IYCF and Hygiene promotion session
- Develop/adopt Nutrition education IEC materials appropriate for the local context
- Develop and submit weekly/monthly progress report
- Follow up the performance of community mobilizer
Project title: Emergency Nutrition Response project
Reporting to: Field Nutrition coordinator
Number of Post: 3
Duration of the project: 5 months with the possibility of extension
Required Qualification and experience
- BSC in Health officer, environmental health, Nursing or Nutrition with 3-5 year NGO work experience in related position (CMAM/IMAM and Nutrition and health education )
- TOT on IMAM/CMAM, IYCF or CBN
- Good interpersonal communication and facilitation skill
- Respect for multiculturalism and Value
- Mentoring and facilitation skill
- Be able to work under pressure and towards tight deadlines with minimum supervision
- Promote team synergy in a multi-cultural work environment
- A resourceful person and self-starter
- Be able to communicate in English, Amharic and local language
Position: Senior Agronomist
Educational Background: BSc in Horticulture/Plant Science
Relevant Work Experience: Minimum 4 years
No. of Vacant Post: 1
Place of work: Menagesha at the farm
Terms of Employment: Permanent
Salary & Benefit: Negotiable
Educational Background: BSc in Horticulture/Plant Science
Relevant Work Experience: 0 year
No. of Vacant Post: 1
Place of work: Menagesha at the farm
Terms of Employment: Permanent
Salary & Benefit: Negotiable
Hagbes Pvt. Ltd. Company has invited qualified applicants for the following job opening for its Head Office, Branches and Sister Companies.
Position: Store Keeper
Qualification: BSc Degree or Diploma in Plant Science, Agronomy or related fields
Experience: Minimum of 2/4 years of relevant experience, Preferably on Coffee, Oil Seeds, Cereals and pulses
- Transport Allowances
- Medical and Insurance Coverage
Place of Work: Addis Ababa
We are seeking a high-calibre individual with the experience, skills and vision needed to deliver a complex multi-stakeholder water stewardship implementation and learning programme in Ethiopia, whilst also providing strategic development and leadership to the Alliance for Water Stewardship Africa. The postholder will lead the delivery of our ‘Putting Water Stewardship to work for Ethiopia’ initiative which will support and learn from the implementation of the Alliance for Water Stewardship Standard at several Industrial Parks, and vertically within Ethiopia’s garment, textile and cotton sectors.
Role and Responsibilities
The objectives of this role are to effectively deliver the ‘Putting water stewardship to work for Ethiopia’ programme and the AWS Africa Strategy. The Programme Manager will ensure efficient and high-quality delivery that is co-owned by partners and which is managed adaptively to maximise positive impact for our beneficiaries in the challenging contexts we operate within. Specific responsibilities include:
Programme management and delivery
The primary focus will be on ensuring the successful delivery of our ‘Putting water stewardship to work for Ethiopia’ programme. This work will ensure that water use within Ethiopia’s Industrial Parks and within the growing garment, textiles and cotton sectors reflects global best practice and that water risks (such as pollution, water quality problems, resource depletion and degradation, inadequate water supply and sanitation, flooding and drought impacts, and water conflicts) are managed through alignment with the Alliance for Water Stewardship standard by stakeholders at sites and at catchment scale.
The work will contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and support job creation, poverty reduction and sustainable and climate-resilient economic growth. Learning from the initiative will also stimulate the development of the AWS system, and accelerate its scaling and uptake in Africa and globally. The work requires coordination and collaboration with partners to deliver:
- Participatory water risk and opportunity assessments in various sectors and at several geographical scales (site, industrial park, municipality, catchment, national, global);
- Development and delivery of water stewardship plans, innovations and training;
- Stakeholder convening, issue prioritisation, ownership and learning;
- Inclusion of the most vulnerable people in decision making and action on water stewardship;
- Documentation and analysis of evidence, lessons and insights;
- Generation of advocacy objectives and materials, and delivery of compelling communications and influencing strategies at multiple scales to secure system change (business/company, sector, Ministries, cross-governmental, regionally, global standard systems, etc.)
The post holder will undertake a wide range of programme management activities including:
- Planning, delivery and reporting against programme budgets, activities, outputs & outcomes.
- Management, mentorship & support to staff, partners, Country & Global Advisory Groups.
- Providing direct line management to a small team, initially comprising 2 to 3 staff.
- Assignment and tracking of tasks and resources through regular communication, meetings and visits to ensure impact within budget and timescales.
- Authoring reports, assuring quality of work and outputs.
- Financial management, ensuring statutory compliance and alignment with internal policies.
Strategic leadership and regional coordination
The Regional Programme Manager will be responsible for supporting the successful delivery of the AWS Africa Strategy, which was developed by Water Witness & partners in 2018. This includes establishing AWS Africa as an autonomous entity. AWS Africa is the regional initiative of the global Alliance for Water Stewardship. It works for a water-secure Africa driven by responsible water stewards who play a leading role in economic growth, poverty reduction and sustainable management of natural resources. AWS Africa Strategic goals:
- The AWS standard and system are relevant and widely used in Africa, delivering value for companies, communities, government and civil society and progress towards the SDGs.
- AWS Africa, it's brand and members are widely recognised and respected for their contributions to improved water security.
- AWS Africa, its members and wider network have the capacity, finances and resources and knowledge required to deliver their mission.
The strategy includes a transition plan which will establish AWS Africa as an autonomous legal entity within the region, and the post-holder will play a key role in this work over the coming years. Duties will include:
- Technical advice and strategic leadership for water stewardship and the work of AWS Africa;
- Managing, convening and overseeing the work of the AWS Africa Regional Advisory Group.
- Delivering on priority aspects of AWS Africa strategy including capacity building, fundraising, promotion & support for AWS implementation, communications & advocacy.
- Establishing & managing networks and knowledge exchange, in particular with progressive private sector companies, IFI’s, governments, NGOs, donors, & AWS service providers.
- The organisation, delivery and facilitation of national and regional meetings, events and forums.
- Continual improvement & development of the AWS standard & stewardship approach.
- Develop compelling communications to elevate stewardship within media & debate.
As a strategic lead for water stewardship in Africa the postholder will also:
- Proactively input to debates on water stewardship to ensure that social justice & sustainable water management are at the forefront, & that we build positive influence;
- Identify & develop a wide range of constructive partnerships in pursuit of strategic objectives;
- Provide advice on, and organise training on the use of the AWS Standard in Africa.
- Evolve our programme portfolio on water stewardship to maximise positive impacts;
- Represent the organisation at a senior level within local, regional and global engagements;
- Identify, develop and secure fundraising opportunities;
- Ensure that our systems, assets and processes are effective and appropriate.
Experience and Qualifications
- A postgraduate degree in a relevant field.
- At least 7 year’s relevant experience.
- Hands-on experience of managing complex natural resource or water stewardship initiatives, corporate sustainability and/or standards programmes which have delivered demonstrable positive change.
- A track record of working effectively with the private sector, government and civil society stakeholders both at a Senior/Executive level and with technical staff in challenging contexts.
- Experience of the challenges and opportunities facing corporate engagement for sustainable and inclusive development.
- Extensive programme management experience including delivering concurrent initiatives, budget management, ME&L and reporting to donors and partners.
- A proven, positive team player, able to mentor, delegate and collaborate within a multi-cultural, dispersed team.
- Experience/knowledge of setting up a local or regional civil society entity in Ethiopia.
- Excellent understanding and experience of the water, climate or natural resource sectors, and incorporate engagement and standards for sustainable development.
- Relevant experience and networks in Ethiopia, Africa and globally.
- A successful track record of fundraising, institutional development and advocacy.
Skills and Attributes
- A gifted communicator, both as a speaker and author in English and Amharic.
- A high degree of competence in using IT tools, platforms and programmes.
- Able to create and manage effective and productive partnerships.
- Emotionally intelligent leadership and the ability to support and mentor others in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional organisational skills, professional diligence and high ethical standards and conduct.
- Proven ability to think, plan and act strategically and pro-actively.
- Must be dynamic, creative, and passionate about delivering positive change in the world.
- Familiar with current concepts and approaches within water resource management, WASH, water stewardship and international standards.
- Familiarity and competence in media, film/photography, communications, publishing and the use of social media