ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position: Analyst Program, Analytics Team
Term of Employment: Three years of commitment required
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: January 27, 2020
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience, and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoA), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate the development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great teamwork to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training, and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
As ATA’s strategic advisory and consulting function, the Analytics Team works with Directors and Senior Directors within the organization, as well as senior leadership at partners in government, multilateral and bilateral donors, NGOs and private sector companies, to execute high-impact, analytically challenging projects. The team applies an approach similar to top strategy consulting firms and government strategy units to support partners to more effectively bring together strategic, analytical, technical and operational capabilities required for transformation. Please see http://www.ata.gov.et/programs/analytics/ for additional details.
As the entry point for new graduates or candidates with up to one year of work experience, our 3-year Analyst Program is an extremely fast-paced and varied experience, often quite challenging but also very rewarding. After an initial 3 weeks of onboarding and training, Analysts in the program work with other members of the Analytics Team in three to five-person case teams, completing three to five client cases per year on diverse topics. Analysts, therefore, have the chance to work closely with extraordinary colleagues and learn from senior client staff and stakeholders. They are expected to quickly take on increasing seniority and responsibilities. Rapid development and growth is supported by a best-in-class training and professional development program with approximately 150 training hours in total in the first three years. Each Analyst also receives daily coaching and frequent feedback based on his or her specific development needs and can participate in rotations with other teams at ATA.
The 3-year program, therefore, offers a highly unique experience and provides each analyst with a set of capabilities and tools that can serve as a major strength throughout his or her career. ATA also offers a highly competitive salary. After eighteen to twenty-four months, Analysts who perform well can be promoted to the Senior Analyst role. Senior Analysts take on greater responsibilities including delivering more complex and challenging workstreams independently and starting to oversee the work of Analysts, supported through a progressive training curriculum, regular coaching, and feedback.
At the end of the 3-year program, the best performing Senior Analysts will be invited to join the Analytics Leadership program, which includes an award for graduate study abroad before returning to ATA to continue as Associate Case Team Leader (with a 3-year commitment).
ATA Analytics’ Analyst Program is a fantastic opportunity for young graduates who are highly motivated and passionate about their own development and about making a difference to drive change at a national scale and impact the lives of millions of Ethiopians!.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Plan, prioritize and manage workstreams from start to finish, including data collection, analysis, and content development, stakeholder input, and validation, and ensure required timelines and quality standards are met.
Identify and structure problems, develop key hypotheses and innovative solutions, and apply suitable analytical frameworks and approaches to test this hypothesis and solutions.
Identify and acquire relevant quantitative and qualitative data using a range of applied and pragmatic techniques, quality control data to ensure validity and accuracy.
Organize and conduct interviews with up to mid-manager level stakeholders, plan and execute other critical stakeholder management activities.
Execute wide range of analysis drawing on best practice approaches used in public and private sectors, and from various academic fields, to generate critical and actionable insights for partners.
Produce high-quality presentations and/or written documents.
Proactively and frequently engage with senior staff to seek input and enhance outputs, identify risks and issues affecting timely delivery of workstreams, and promptly communicate upward with solution options and recommendations.
Present ideas and respond to queries clearly and concisely in internal and external discussions.
Effectively manage operational activities (e.g. scheduling, logistical and financial organization of field trips and workshops, procurement processes, etc.) for delivery of workstreams.
Bachelor’s or Master's degree in any field with a minimum GPA of 3.4 and above, and up to 12 months of professional experience.
Knowledge of agriculture is not required, but applicants should have a strong interest in agricultural and economic development in Ethiopia.
Genuine intellectual curiosity and desire to innovate and bring large-scale change.
Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills.
Collaborative mindset and a team player.
Strong desire to learn, highly coachable and values frequent, constructive feedback.
Committed to staying at ATA for at least 3 years.
Fluent in English and Amharic, with strong written and oral communication skills.
Sidama Zone, either in Aletawondo or Yirgalem town
I. Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description: The primary objective of the TechnoServe agronomy program will be to increase the production of the coffee tree for coffee farmers through both yield improvement and behavioral shifts due to price incentives. This production improvement will be achieved by educating project farmers on agronomy and environmental best practices, farm management, and assisting them in applying those techniques at an individual farm level. TechnoServe will use a two-year farm college training and individual farm visits to improve farmer knowledge of agronomy techniques and oversee implementation.
III. The intern will support the implementation of strategies that will enable smallholder coffee farmers to achieve sustainable increases in coffee quality and yields as per TechnoServe quality requirements. Responsible for day-to-day execution of the coffee agronomy program, activities plan and supervise project deliverables of farmer trainers to ensure the timely achievement of targets
IV. Duties & Responsibilities
INTERN- Agronomy Advisors are responsible to support the Business, to follow up and implement the day to day project activities at the grass-root level including the following duties & responsibilities: -
1. Planning and management of Farmer Trainers (FTs)
· Submit weekly work plan – details when and which trainings the intern will attend/supervise will attend training
· Review FT weekly work plan with dates
· Collect weekly training plans and data from FTs
· Provide feedback, coaching and development activities related to performance management, following HR guidelines.
· Notify SBA of any performance issues as soon as observed.
· Develop a team spirit among all reports.
2. Conduct monthly Agronomy training to FTs
· Model that the monthly agronomy training to FTs at local farmers field.
· Supervise teach-backs and give feedback.
· Ensure each training module is completed within a months’ time.
3. Observe FTs’ training delivery at the farm level
· Observe full training to farmers
· Give feedback and coaching to FT based on observation.
· Check visited HH list, cross-check with the list in the database. Ensure the reported data is accurate.
4. Back checking farm Visit
· Pick farmers at random and advise on the Best Agronomy Practices they learned
· Discuss training, farmer adoption, and challenges
· Complete Best Practice checklist
5. Visit Demo plots
· Check demo plot status, complete form and give feedback to FF
· Meet with Focal Farmer and discuss things done well and things needed to be implemented on the demo plot.
6. Tablet survey M & E
· Complete digital electronic-based training and demo plot observation form
· Collect, check for completion and submit a complete set of Farmer Trainers’ attendance sheets to SBA within 1 week of training completion.
· Discuss any attendance issues with Farmer Trainers and Business Advisor and support to develop an action plan.
· Compile weekly attendance update and submit to SBA
7. Prepare & check FTs expenses
· Collect official voucher receipts for transport and accommodation
· Submit documents to the SBA on a timely basis
8. Stakeholder Management
· Create a good working relationship with stakeholders.
· Meet with Kebele leaders and Cooperative to give progress reports every quarter.
· Support Farmer Trainers to mobilize farmers at the Kebele level.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Agronomy Senior Business Advisor.
V. Required Skills & Experience:
· Willingness to be based in assigned remote locations in Sidama Zone and willingness to spend significant time in rural areas;
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field – Plant Science, Horticulture, Crop Science, Agriculture, etc. May accept experience in lieu of a degree;
· Interpersonal and cross-cultural skills as well as problem-solving skills;
· Planning skills and working to strict time-guidelines;
· Fluency in Amharic and Sidamigna,
· English oral & written presentation skills;
· Computer literacy, including Word and Excel
VI. Preferred Skills:
· Familiarity with Sidama area
· Experience working with Agriculture extension-related duties.
. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
The Sales Manager is responsible, at least, for:
- the acquisition of qualified lessees (customers)
- preparing sales and business strategies for generating a pipeline of qualified prospects
- Liaising, and maintaining good relationships with local distributors in soliciting potential lessees
meeting sales targets
- preparation of long term and annual plans plus budgets
Candidate needs to have at least a BA degree in marketing, marketing management, business management or related, and a minimum of 8 years’ experience as Manager – business development or sales/marketing management, preferably in established companies engaged in trading, distribution or maintenance of heavy equipment or in (lease) financing companies. MBA is an advantage. Candidate needs to have good knowledge of the equipment business in Ethiopia.
In addition, the candidate needs to have BSc in agricultural engineering or related field, and good knowledge in sales/marketing of agricultural equipment like tractors and tractor implements, combine harvesters and related implements, irrigation equipment, water pumps, etc.
Preferred personal qualities
- Excellent communication skills
- Training on leasing, marketing strategy, sales management, equipment sales, etc. is an advantage
- Strong meticulous personality
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Having good knowledge of solving problems/issues
- Self-starter with a pro-active can-do mentality, a team leader and a team worker, with a disciplined work ethos who is focused, organized and result-oriented.
- Fluent in Amharic and English, other Ethiopian languages a pre.
Koga Veg Agricultural Development plc is a private company engaged in the production of vegetables and vegetable seeds for export and domestic market. The company is currently looking for a packhouse manager to strengthen the organization at Koga irrigation area – Merawi, Amhara.
- Providing sound leadership and management to ensure quality product output, accuracy, and consistency in packhouse processes and documentation.
- Ensure high levels of hygiene and safety practices
- Ensure industry quality assurance standards compliance and meet export customers specifications
- Manage costs of packhouse operations against the budget
- Koga irrigation area in Merawi. The company provides transportation service to and from farm
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- BSC or MSC in Post-harvest management-related fields
- Additional training in internal auditing, food safety, BRC, and HACCP
- Above 5 years experience in post-harvest handling of vegetables or other perishables for export
- Excellent in computer skills, English language skills, communication skills, interpersonal skills
- Behavioral skills: Respectful, open-minded, committed and motivated.
- Able to work under minimum supervision while meeting the set targets & deadlines. o Willingness to work overtime, Sundays and holidays
Four Square is an innovative provider of Voice-based Solutions and Web-Based Solution Products that add value to enterprises across the Business Value Chain. Four Square helps businesses drive efficiency by delivering Innovative yet seemingly simple solutions.
Sales and Marketing Executive is to promote and sell company products by demonstrating the advanced technical functions of the product as well as its uses and benefits.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Sourcing potential new customers.
- Maintaining regular contact with existing customers.
- Travelling to the customer's location to talk about our product range.
- Demonstrating the technical features and benefits of our products.
- Advising customers on technology upgrades and related products.
- Composing tender documents and customer proposals.
- Generating purchase orders and sales receipts.
- Maintaining strong customer relations.
- Attending product training courses and seminars.
- Meeting sales targets.
- Any Degree
- Ability to Read, Write & Speak Amharic
- Ability to Read, Write & Speak English
- Strong communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of computer systems and Office Software.
- Ability to meet sales and commission targets.
- Ability to travel
Dera; Fogera and Libokemkem weredas agricultural office of Soth Gonder
Organic Liquid Fertilizer Producing PLC is a privately owned fully certified and patented specialty manufacturer of organic liquid fertilizer products in Ethiopia.
We are an indigenous enterprise that produces an innovative and unique organic fertilizer in liquid form with a brand name Eco-Green.
Detail Duties and Responsibility:
- Provide technical support to the agriculture production component of the MEDA project by providing training to target farmers, DAs and the three woreda agricultural office experts at the south Gonder zone Amhara region.
- Lead eco-green application on the vegetable demonstration field trials that selected farmers can have the potential in crop harvesting skills the three wordas
- Lead the yield estimation of the crop production and provide reliable data for decision making to the implementation of MEDA project
- Overseeing horticultural cultivation and maintenance
- Organizing horticultural trials; analyzing horticultural yield; operational cost; and financial returns of the demonstration plot
- Make frequent visit and presentations to existing and prospective customers on behalf of organic liquid fertilizer producing plc
- Lead the farmer’s mobilization and ensure that the farmers are fully aware of the project’s objective as well closely advise them how to care of the vegetables to protect the crop from pest damages
- Lead eco-green application on the vegetable demonstration field trials that selected farmers can have the potential in crop harvesting skills the three wordas
- Collaborate with collaborating with local wereda expert and Meda staffs on areas related to agriculture production and care of vegetables
- Assess the fertilizer utilization and its impacts of the selected farmers’ farmland
- Continuously work and improve the working relationship with government stakeholders; in particular work with the woreda agriculture office and kebel administrations
- Follow up DAs and farmers working in the project
- Preparing demonstration session adhering predetermined schedule
- Represent organic liquid fertile producing plc in the coordination at zonal and district levels; ( demonstration cluster meetings and other task force meetings)
- Promotion of the eco-green and attract new customers to use the product
- Identify and create business relationships with product distributors including unions and FSC in the vicinity
- Data collection; analyzing and timely reporting to head office
- Extension work in collaboration with woreda agricultural and natural resource office
- Performs other related tasks as required
Communications and Networking
- Crate good interaction and communication with partners and other relevant stakeholders;
- Develop a good working relationship with other stakeholders in the sectors where OLF is working
- Prepare and submit performance report due time of period
- Performs other related tasks as required and assigned
Reports To: Operation manager
Place of Assignment: Amhara Region – Wereta
Duration of the contract: 9 months with a high probability of extension based on performance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture (Plant Science), related with an emphasis on agronomy, crop production, horticulture
- Minimum 3 years working with as an agriculture expert, agronomist in development projects
- Giving training to farmers and government stakeholder
- Training facilitation
- Sales skill
- Communication and report writing
- Research and documentation
- Inter-personal and problem solving
- Be able to work under pressure and towards tight deadlines with minimum supervision
- Promote team synergy in a multi-cultural work environment
- A resourceful person and self-starter
- A mature, sensible, and open-minded person with mutual respect
- Be able to network effectively inside and outside of the organization
- Respect and adhere to the organization code of conduct
- Follow and promote the organic liquid fertile producing plc Vision, Mission, and values in action and words
- Have personal integrity
Position: Senior Agronomist
Educational Background: BSc in Horticulture/Plant Science
Relevant Work Experience: Minimum 4 years
No. of Vacant Post: 1
Place of work: Menagesha at the farm
Terms of Employment: Permanent
Salary & Benefit: Negotiable
Educational Background: BSc in Horticulture/Plant Science
Relevant Work Experience: 0 year
No. of Vacant Post: 1
Place of work: Menagesha at the farm
Terms of Employment: Permanent
Salary & Benefit: Negotiable
Hagbes Pvt. Ltd. Company has invited qualified applicants for the following job opening for its Head Office, Branches and Sister Companies.
Position: Store Keeper
Qualification: BSc Degree or Diploma in Plant Science, Agronomy or related fields
Experience: Minimum of 2/4 years of relevant experience, Preferably on Coffee, Oil Seeds, Cereals and pulses
- Transport Allowances
- Medical and Insurance Coverage
Place of Work: Addis Ababa
Ambasel Trading House PLC would like to invite competent candidates for the following position
Type of employment: Permanent
- In agronomy, agrochemicals, plant science, agro economics Ph.D. and 4 years or MSc and 6 years or BSc and 8 years relevant experience (experience on inputs utilization and trading)
I. About TechnoServe:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
TechnoServe seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) to assist the Chief of Party in leading the implementation of a five-year Enhancing Market Efficiency and Resilience for Growing Ethiopia’s New Coffee Economy (EMERGENCE) funded by the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA), JDE and Peet’s Coffee which will benefit tens of thousands of smallholder coffee farmers in Yirgacheffe, one of the world’s most celebrated coffee origins.
The program will help farmers boost productivity and expand trade, and has a strong focus on improving farmers´ capacity to rehabilitate their trees. The DCOP will oversee coffee market system development efforts including activities designed to 1) facilitate external stakeholder relationships, 2) augment coffee and agronomic research and develop suppliers of genetic material for planting 3) facilitate agricultural lending 4) build the capacity of business service providers and strengthen regional and international platforms to better support rehabilitation and renovation efforts. The program will collaborate closely with local and international private, public, and civil sector partners to achieve results. During the COP’s absence, the DCOP serves as acting COP.
III. Position Description:
Working under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the DCOP will be in charge of:
● Develop and manage partnerships with coffee companies, the commodity exchange, trade associations, host government programs, international development project implementers and other stakeholders aimed at expanding benefits to coffee sector project beneficiaries
● Keep government informed about project progress by attending update meetings
● Ensure corporate and donor compliance by monitoring program compliance with all its policies, rules and regulations
● Manage project media communication in close coordination with HQ, USDA and international buyers including the organizing of field visits, buyer follow up and origin promotional efforts.
● Support the launch of a National Coffee Platform (NCP) for all coffee stakeholders, including women and youth, to ensure coordination and accountability
● Assist ECTA to operationalize the recently drafted CECSIR to enable ECTA to be in a position to foster a more supportive business environment – characterized by ease of doing business, accountability of regulators and policymakers, and transparent rules of engagement – that is critical to boosting the competitiveness of the Ethiopian coffee sector
● Coordinate project activities with the EU funded coffee project implemented by BOFed and ECTA
Coffee sector development
● DCOP is responsible for leading the enabling environment activity
● Work with exporters and private service provider to develop a Coffee Service Provider model tailored to the Ethiopian context
● Work with a tech company to develop a traceability solution meeting exporter and international buyers’ needs
● Asses gaps and opportunities in the current certification market and develop a certification strategy for Yirgacheffe wet mills
● Develop and support the implementation of a new Ethiopian coffee marketing strategy, including branding, segmentation, and promotion
● Work with ECX to develop an independent arbitrator system to address buyer complaints and improve the sector’s international reputation and contract compliance.
● The DCOP supports the COP in the day-to-day operations of technical implementation teams and
● Manage, motivate and develop country field teams to guarantee the successful execution of program activities as well as team members’ professional development. Promote positive team dynamics.
● Develop bi-annual reports to the government, summarizing progress made to achieving coffee value chain targets
● Collaborate with other project team members including those tasked with facilitating access to finance, implementing MEL, and communicating project successes, to effectively integrate their activities in support of coffee value chain development efforts
● Use monitoring and evaluation data and insights to propose strategic adjustments to coffee program activities
Research and Development
● DCOP manages the partnership with Kew Gardens and manages their climate change resilience expert on the ground
● The DCOP collaborates and coordinates with JARC to conduct climate resilience varietal and adaptation research, and develop strategies to assist farmers to better manage shocks in the short- and medium-term, with a view to enhance the competitiveness and safeguard the long-term sustainability of the sector.
● Oversee the establishment of agrometeorological experiments for trials sites and oversees the dissemination of results and integration into the project’s training curricula
● Develop and oversee the learning agenda of the project and manage wet mill processing protocol pilots
● Support the Climate Change Resilience expert to support JARC to identify and preserve climate resilient germplasm
● Review and develop a sustainability strategy that meets buyer requirements and presents an attractive return on investment for wet mills
● Work with Ethiopian academia to document project lessons learned and document impact to promote adoption and advocate for gradual improvements in the Ethiopian coffee market ecosystem
IV. Required Skills and Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree in agronomy, agroforestry, economics, agricultural economics, business administration, supply chain management or a related field with at least 10 years of progressively wider responsibility of which at least 3 years of which to be a management experience managing staff, managing external relations such as government and donors, planning and staff development.
● At least 5 years’ experience in Ethiopian coffee or other similar industry including interactions with international buyers and exporters.
● Strong experience in managing people, leadership skill, teamwork, facilitation, and collaboration capacity
● A detail-oriented person with the ability to effectively manage operations, ensure high-quality program execution consistently, as well as timely reporting and diplomatic communications.
● Excellent written and verbal communications including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively to diverse audiences in English
● Demonstrate experience of strategic planning, management, supervision, and budgeting of projects
● Experience of interacting effectively and collaboratively with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts and other key stakeholders, in building consensus, and in developing and managing mutually beneficial partnerships that leverage resources to create greater impact
● Strong organizational skills and a capacity to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines with a high level of attention to detail
● Independent judgment and strong problem-solving and decision-making skills required, with limited supervision
● Experience working with USDA, USAID, or other bilateral-funded projects desirable
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives. For more information, visit www.technoserve.org
II. POSITION DESCRIPTION
A field-based position is responsible for the day-to-day support and training of private coffee processing enterprises to develop and implement sustainable coffee businesses. The training and support covers social responsibility, occupational health and safety, environmental responsibility (Dry mill and farm) and, economic transparency including First aid & Bookkeeping training,
III. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Identify coffee processing clients and provide them with technical support in the following areas:
· Strengthening the sustainable coffee business practices of at least 12-15 processing units by providing training and day to day support.
· Monitor clients’ compliance with TNS Sustainability Standards and jointly develop action plans to improve compliance.
· Maintain relationships with other TNS field level teams and local stakeholders and leads clients.
· Monitor Coffee processing operations including Volume/quality and traceability.
· Conduct audits to assess compliance and give feedback to clients, updating their action plan.
· Participate in regular team meetings.
· Submit weekly field reports to the project manager and support impact monitoring and evaluation activities.
· Work closely with woreda level government agencies and participate in industry initiatives and partnerships with key stakeholders on issues that promote the mission of TechnoServe’s coffee program.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
I. REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field – business, agriculture, the sciences, economics, etc.
· At least 3 years of experience in one or more of the following areas: coffee processing or agronomy, agri-business, business administration, cooperative management, SME development, agriculture, training or extension is preferred.
· Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
· Willingness to spend significant time in rural areas.
· Excellent English oral & written presentation skills.
· Computer literacy
· A motor bicycle riding license is a must. Ability and willingness to ride a motor bicycle are also mandatory.
· Knowledge of Oromiffaa language is a requirement
II. PREFERRED SKILLS:
· Knowledge of the different coffee certification standards is preferred,
Frontieri is a renowned research and development consulting firm based its Head Quarter in Addis Ababa. We undertake different consultancy works and projects in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of research and development services and analyses that strengthen different development programs, organizations, and policies. Our services cross-cut all development sectors including agriculture, rural development, education, health, economic growth, energy, and social protection. Our clients include/but not limited to UN agencies, multilateral and bilateral organizations, Governmental Ministries, and others.
Frontieri is a company for talented people with different backgrounds and perspective and we have gathered competent professionals and in partnership with scholars across the country and abroad.
Currently, we are seeking a Research Fellow-Agricultural Economist with a high level of consultancy experience enthusiasm and resilience.
Summary of Key functions
- Provide overall leadership and guidance to the agricultural and rural development team
- Lead and coordinate agricultural and rural development related to consultancy services
- Coordinate and lead project team members
- Access and prepare a literature review
- Review feasibility studies and progress reports on agricultural and rural development projects and make proposals for actions
- In collaboration with the research fellows, develop innovative approaches and new techniques as may be necessary to achieve the objective of the research;
- Forge a strong partnership with various people and key institutions working on agriculture and related sectors
- Understanding Client Orientation and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, to ensure the clients receive the best possible service and advice from the company
- Examine data to determine patterns and trends in agricultural activity and use the predictions obtained from the research to inform, influence, and improve the business decisions of our clients
- Provide technical input and maintain an outstanding scholarly publication record and provide relevant policy advice with particular emphasis on the agriculture and rural development sector
Provide working papers
- Work with other staffs to access and identify technical assistance needs with regards to technical skills, supervision supported for new and ongoing projects
- Follow the effective implementation of projects with the highest quality and agreed timeline
- Adopt organizational core values, policies and procedures are clearly understood and adhered to in the daily functioning
- Participate in documentation and dissemination of lessons learned etc.
· Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics and related fields
· +5 years of Research and proposal development experience across various Agro-economics area, practically in consultancy services.
· Excellent publication and in peer-reviewed journals.
Technical and Other Skills
- Demonstrated intellectual leadership and ability to integrate sector-specific knowledge with broader operational strategy and research objectives
- Research Temperament /Intellectual Curiosity
- Proficiency in verbal and written English language
- Good networking skills and judgment
- Abilities to work in tight environment to make things happen within the deadline
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge
- Demonstrated successes in creating collaborative relationships with various governmental and non-governmental organizations etc.
Seden Soddo and Ameya with a daily trip to the project sites
CEFA (European Committee for Training and Agriculture) is a Non-Government Organisation whose headquarter is in Bologna, Italy. CEFA works in North/East Africa and Latin America with international donors, mainly in the following activities:
1) Rural economy with production, transformation, and commercialization of agricultural products;
2) Crafting products;
3) Basic infrastructures to guarantee water access, requalification and environment protection of the territory and the use of renewable energies;
4) Technical and Management training.
In Ethiopia, CEFA is registered since April 2018.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Name of the project: Seeds of Future
The Seed of Future project is an integrated initiative that aims to contribute to the improvement of the production and intake of a nutrient-rich diet by rural communities in the Oromia Region, through the adoption of a multi-sectoral approach (agricultural, social and health), work with a particular emphasis with women, children and other vulnerable groups, by creating and promoting a new social pact and strong alliances between producer associations and other institutions. This is done with the intent to activate a process of structural change, whereby agricultural practices are promoted among peasants and families while taking into account the diversity of the production systems.
Location of the project
Oromia Region, South West Shewa Zone - Wolisso Zuria, Goru, Seden Soddo and Ameya Wereda.
ABOUT THE ROLE
CEFA is looking for 2 motivated field agents to support small scale farmers, women groups and local cooperatives in the development of new income and productive activities in the field of agro-food production and processing. The field agents will work in the Woreda or in the Wolisso Office, under the supervision of the Project agronomist coordinator.
Role and Responsibility:
All the following tasks will be carried out in collaboration and under the supervision and responsibility of the project coordinator and the agronomist supervisor.
- Coordination and close collaboration with the agronomist coordinator;
- Participation in periodic meetings with the project team;
- Assistance and technical support to women's cooperatives or groups;
- Production, monitoring and logistics of reinforcement plan for each women’s group, in collaboration with the supervisor;
- Supporting the cooperative groups with daily proximity support, with constant monitoring of the progress of the AGRs and the learning of the concepts transmitted during the training sessions, with ready problem-solving interventions and group motivation.
- Awareness creation for communities of women in rural entrepreneurship and support to women emancipation;
- Monitoring and logistics of training for beneficiaries;
- Monitoring and logistics of the workshops and seminars organized within the project, for the areas of competence;
- Collection of documentation and information (report, attendance list, photo, material, etc.);
Writing activity reports;
- Manage relations with local stakeholders, in particular with the relevant authorities with the creation of AGRs and micro-credit institutions;
- Any other activity is necessary for carrying out the project activities as indicated by the agronomist coordinator.
Location: Seden Soddo and Ameya with a daily trip to the project sites
Employment type: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Required Number: 2
Diploma in economics, agriculture, project management, business management, cooperative management or relevant sectors and/or at least 3 years of experience in field activities in development projects in the Agro-food / AGR sectors
- Fluency Oromiffa is mandatory; Good Communication in Amharic and other local language is preferable;
- Proven teamwork experience;
- Good knowledge of oral and written English;
- Excellent knowledge of the geographical context of reference;
- Good ability to use the Office package and the Internet;
- Preferably prior work experience with CEFA or one of the project partners;
- Experience with National or international NGOs is preferable;
- Motorbike driving technical skill and motorbike driving license;
- Willing and able to work with quality under pressure and in difficult contexts.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants should submit the below-listed documents not later than 20/01/2020
Via the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Specify in the email Object: CEFA_vacancy_field agent
In sealed envelope at CEFA Onlus P.O. BOX 16035 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia;
Via Hand Delivery, in a sealed envelope, at CEFA office in Wolisso town, Kebele 02, in front of Hawariat Church. Efrem Amdisa's House or Adee, Bonsitu's House.
Please also don’t forget to specify the position and location you are applying for.
We only receive applications submitted via the above-mentioned addresses as follows:
CVs (not more than 3 pages)
Cover Letter (not more than 1 page)
Highest Education certificate (copy)
References of three previous employers
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The Organization has the faculty to require additional documentation related to job previous experience and current employment position to the candidates.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.