The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is implementing the Ethiopia Migration Programme (EMP), a UK-funded program to make migration through and from Ethiopia safer. The program has an operational footprint in Tigray, Amhara, and Addis Ababa and involves several subcontractors with core responsibility for the implementation of EMP objectives.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Manager (Communications Lead) will work closely with the EMP Chief of Party (COP), Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), Programme Director, partner organizations, and other EMP staff to design and deliver a high-quality Communications Strategy. The Communications Lead will also be accountable for the design, planning, implementation, and monitoring of all activities under EMP’s Communications and Information workstream. The Communications Lead will manage the implementation of communications activities in the field through effective coordination with EMP Field Project Managers (PMs) and will oversee the implementation of national-level communications outputs by external partners. The Communications Lead will be accountable for meeting EMP targets under Outcome 2.
Strategy and Design
- Lead the design, delivery, and regular review of the program’s Communication Strategy
- Identify principles and objectives for stakeholder and public engagement to support FCDO and EMP’s overall objectives
- Identify opportunities and activities to establish a strong identity and brand for EMP, including through targeted communications, broader engagement activities, ad hoc advisory services, and/or co-branding activities where appropriate and agreed with FCDO
- Oversee program activity compliance with the EMP Branding Guidelines to ensure activities are utilized to effectively build the identity and reputation of EMP in Ethiopia.
- Oversee program communications and signage to ensure they align with EMP/DRC and FCDO policies on information sharing.
- Develop and maintain inputs to work planning and resource planning for communications activities, in coordination with Programme Director, DCOP, and Programme Coordinator (PMU).
- Review and approve all program communications outputs
- Provide technical advice and support to EMP’s communication partners in planning and developing relevant information and communication products targeted at beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Lead the design and delivery of targeted capacity-building support for select local multimedia production partners
- Ensure approval processes for public domain materials are obtained, and processes for engaging with the media, if necessary, are followed.
- Contribute to and maintain the program’s social media presence, where appropriate (approving/posting new content, liaising with relevant production partners)
Reporting and Other
- Develop and manage processes for identifying and assessing the performance of Communications outputs in coordination with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning (MERL) team.
- Support the COP in developing narrative reporting and updates on activity progress
- Any other related responsibilities as defined by the COP during the life of the program.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least five years' experience in marketing, advertising, journalism, corporate or government communications, civil society/NGO, or other types of externally facing communications roles
- Experience working in Ethiopia, the Horn of Africa, and/or East Africa highly desirable
- Experience working on UK development programs and/or on programs funded by other development donors is preferred
- Demonstrated experience using cutting edge communication tools and technologies to engage and influence stakeholders
- Experience in social media strategy planning, content creation, and community management
- Proven experience crafting messages in various formats (articles, press releases, websites, photos, success stories, blog entries, tweets, etc.) targeting a variety of audiences
- Exceptional, proven writing and editing skills (English) and the ability to summarise and repackage technical information in clear, compelling language
- Ability to engage with diverse audiences. This includes donors, governments, the private sector, and the diverse EMP team and partners
- Strong literacy in Microsoft packages with knowledge of Adobe products is a distinct advantage
- Experience in on-the-job mentoring
- Self-motivation, creativity, excellent organizational skills, proven ability to perform multiple tasks, and ability to work with both internal and external stakeholders
Education (include certificates, licenses, etc.):
- Tertiary qualifications in international relations, communications, journalism, or a related field (post graduate qualifications highly desirable);
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written English.
- Knowledge of Amharic or Tigrigna an added advantage.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for Excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate based on age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct about DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.