Self Help Africa (SHA)
Position: Project Accountant
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Oda Bultum, Bedessa, West Hararghe Zone of Oromia
Posted date: 3 days ago
Application Deadline: Jan, 24/2021 (7 days left)
About Self Help Africa:
Self Help Africa (SHA) is an international NGO, dedicated to the vision of an economically thriving and resilient rural Africa. SHA focuses on agriculture and agribusiness as the engine of growth in Africa. Our approach is collaborative and market-based: although we see our primary clients as smallholder farmers in Africa, we work with all participants in the agricultural value chain.
Job Title: Project Accountant
Organization: Self Help Africa – Ethiopia
Location: Oda Bultum, Bedessa, West Hararghe Zone of Oromia
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports to: Head of Programmes (HoP)
Contract type: 2-years fixed-term contract renewable based on performance review
SHA Ethiopia Country Programme would like to recruit one Project Accountant who will be responsible for overall financial oversight and the efficient expenditure of project finances and provision of effective financial management and accounting services. Although reporting to the Project Manager (PM), the Project Accountant will also have a direct functional reporting line to the Head of Finance and Administration and the Finance Manager, based in Addis and work in full compliance with all applicable with all SHA financial policies and donor guidelines.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for routine financial accounting functions including processing and recording all transactions in line with organisational policy, Donor Guidelines and compliance to Ethiopian legislation, ensuring timeliness, efficiency and completeness
- Plans and ensures disbursement of cash for project activities timely and accurately.
- Responsible for checking the accuracy and validity of documents and posting entries on PS Financials (PSF) in a timely manner
- Collects and communicates all relevant information and data about active project staff and maintains an up-to-date list of staff on the payroll by making timely entries of any changes to project staff details and provides relevant information to Finance Manager for inclusion in the monthly payroll
- Ensures that all official documents (cash receipts, check payment vouchers, petty cash payment voucher, etc) of the organisation are properly registered, distributed and/or stored as appropriate
- Reviews the monthly payments requests against the budget and cash flow projections
- Assists the Finance Manager in preparation for yearly external audit
- Participates in the preparation of the Annual Procurement Plan.
- Plans organize, directs, evaluates, and controls the proper utilization of assets of the organization.
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Liaising with the Programme Manager, finance staff on programme and activity budget preparation, spending and realignments, ensuring they are aligned with grants agreements
- Preparation of monthly and annual budget vs. expenditure reports
- Prepares and processes financial data necessary for budget adjustments as required while ensuring compliance with the grant agreement
- Participate in the preparation and revision of the annual budgets.
Donor Reporting & Compliance
- Prepare donor financial reports on a timely basis whilst ensuring compliance with donor requirements
- Any other duty that may be assigned from time to time
- Project Manager (Line manager)
- Finance Manager
- County Management Team
- Programme Team
- Finance and Administration Team
- SHA Head Office
- Local Government Authorities,
- Financial Institutions,
- Other International and Local NGOs
Education: First Degree in accounting and/or Internationally recognized accounting qualification (CA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA)
Experience: At least three (3) years of relevant experience in NGO/INGO environment
- Ability to reconcile payments against financial documents
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to sort and handle sensitive financial matters
- Ability to use accounting system for handling financial tasks
- Fluency in spoken and written English and working knowledge of the local language-Afan Oromo
- Strong Technical abilities and up-to-date knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Experience in managing donor funds and contracts
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills
- Attention to detail and ability to produce timely and accurate financial reports
How to apply
Please download the Application Form and fill it in. Then upload this along with your CV and a motivational letter HERE. (Clicking the link will open the recruitment page).
Please note incomplete applications will not be considered for shortlisting.
The closing date is Sunday 24th January at 5 pm
Please note that Self Help Africa Ethiopia advocates for equal opportunity and does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Self Help Africa is committed to the highest possible standards of openness, transparency, and accountability in all its affairs and is completely against fraud, bribery, and corruption. All employees are bound by code of conduct, child protection and conflict of interest policies.
Any candidate offered a job with Self Help Africa will be expected to sign Self Help Africa’s Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.