Danish Refugee Council
Position: Protection coordinator
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa
Posted date: 1 month ago
Application Deadline: Submition date is over
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Protection Coordinator for Ethiopia and Djibouti will support DRC’s Protection Manager in leading DRC's protection programming in Ethiopia and Djibouti. He/she will provide technical oversight to DRC’s protection activities across seven field operations, ensuring the improvement and application of harmonized quality standards and support a consistent integration of a rights-based approach into all DRC's programme activities across the country.
- Technical Oversight of Protection Programming
- Ensure that DRC's SGBV, child protection, and other protection interventions are according to international best practice standards;
- Lead rapid needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction as well as identify risks and vulnerabilities, including as related to gender, age and disability;
- Develop, adopt and oversee the roll-out and application of quality measures for DRC’s protection activities, in line with SPHERE standards, the Inter-Agency Minimum Standards for Child Protection, guidelines defined in national coordination forums, and similar;
Coordination and Representation
- Represent DRC in protection coordination meetings as agreed with the Protection Manager;
- Ensure internal coordination and harmonization of DRC protection-related activities with DRC's Ethiopia/Djibouti and regional protection programs;
- Promote improved understanding of protection issues among all relevant stakeholders and ensure the observance of international protection and humanitarian law standards.
Monitoring, Reporting, and Development
- Support the Protection Manager and Head of Programs on protection-related proposals as relevant.
- Monitor all proposed interventions to ensure that are protection mainstreamed, regardless of sector, in close collaboration with DRC’s grants, M&E and programme staff;
- Develop protection-focused program monitoring tools as relevant and upon request;
- Undertake quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according to international best practice standards;
- Conduct program monitoring as per expected outputs and outcomes;
- Ensure that the design and implementation of protection activities address the protection needs of refugees, IDPs, and other vulnerable populations within DRC's mandate, and contribute to the relevant durable solutions;
- Ensure that quality assurance systems are developed and applied, with particular reference to the Core Humanitarian Standard and Age, Gender and Disability throughout the program;
- Explore new business and partnerships and work closely with the Protection Manager and the other relevant staff to develop quality proposals, concept notes, and budgets; and
Management and supervision
- Provide technical supervision to protection staff across DRC’s field sites, in collaboration with the Protection Manager and the Area managers;
- Contribute to the recruitment and performance management of protection staff as needed;
- Develop staff capacities on the rights-based approaches, participatory protection assessments and monitoring, migration monitoring, and inclusion of vulnerable groups through training, mentoring and coaching.
- Conduct and supervise internal and external training on protection-related issues including protection mainstreaming for DRC staff, partners, and project beneficiaries.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- 5 years' work experience within the field of protection, particularly within the field of migrant/IDP/refugee protection;
- At least 3 years of experience working with international NGO's, UN agencies, relevant ministries and/or local authorities in IDP/migrants/refugee settings in complex emergencies in a middle-level position;
- Demonstrated experience in at least one of the following areas: protection monitoring, GBV, CP or Youth programming
- Demonstrated experience coordinating with and supporting national and local authorities as well as humanitarian coordination forums;
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently unsupervised;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and adapt in a complex and challenging environment;
- Experience with capacity building, and in convening and facilitating training and workshops;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with staff members and other stakeholders;
Education (include certificates, licenses, etc.):
- Minimum a university or graduate degree in social studies, law, gender, or other relevant fields;
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent English writing skills;
- French language skills will be an added advantage.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for Excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values