United Nations Economic Commission
Position: Management & Administration, P2
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: NEW YORK, ADDIS ABABA, BANGKOK, BEIRUT, GENEVA, SANTIAGO, VIENNA, NAIROBI and OTHER;
Posted date: 1 month ago
Application Deadline: Oct, 31/2020 (3 days left)
These positions are located primarily in the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC) and the Department of Operational Support (DOS) in NY HQ, the Divisions of Administration at Offices Away from Headquarters, similar Services/Sections in Offices in the Field, or any Office in need of one of the included profiles. Associate Officers typically report to a senior officer, i.e. a unit chief or section chief.
The Young Professionals Programme examination in Management and Administration covers a range of positions in the areas of human resources management, general administration and management, accounting, payroll/accounts payable, finance, budget, procurement, audit, investigation, evaluation and management analysis, analytics and business intelligence, and programme Management.
Some of the key responsibilities of an Associate Officer in Management and Administration would be (These duties are generic and may not be carried out by all Management and Administration Associate Officers):
- Human Resources Management: assist in the development of strategies; align priorities; provide information; formulate policies; and carry out programmes in the full range of human resources management issues, covering recruitment, learning, benefits and entitlements, performance management, staff administration and wellbeing.
- General administration and management: provide support on management and maintenance of physical facilities, equipment, and communication and transportation systems.
- Accounting: review, approve, reconcile and process a range of accounting transactions on a regular and recurring basis; approve/confirm that proposed commitments or expenses for goods and services, as well as those pertaining to personnel, are in accordance with the UN Financial Regulations and Rules, relevant appropriations and staffing tables and corresponding approved allotments; assist with the preparation of cash-flow statements for multiple accounts on a monthly basis ;
- Payroll/accounts payable: maintain payroll operations by following policies and procedures; administer and approve payroll payments in enterprise resource planning systems; prepare summary reports of earnings and deductions; balance accounts by investigating and resolving payroll discrepancies; complete payments by verifying and approving vendor invoices; charge expenses to appropriate cost centers and record corresponding entries.
- Finance: review, analyze and assist in the finalization of budgets and resource justification of project proposals, ensuring compliance with the financial policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the United Nations; check monthly/quarterly and yearly mission accounts, accounts receivables and payables for submission to UN Headquarters; review and reconcile various clearing accounts and investigate erroneous/invalid entries to take appropriate corrective accounting action; record bank charges, revaluation, exchange rates between the bank and UN rates and other transactions; perform bank reconciliation on a daily basis.
- Budget: forecast resource requirements and prepare and monitor budgets for departments and offices; analyze expenditures and give recommendations on the appropriation of funds and optimal utilization of resources.
- Procurement: plan procurement action, review and analyze requirements; identify potential sources of supply; conduct due diligence review of suppliers' capability and qualification; solicit and evaluate bids, proposals and quotations to ensure overall competitiveness and conformity to specified requirements; authorize purchases in line with delegated authority or recommend approval of awards in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules, established policy and procedures; participate in negotiations and prepare a variety of reports, correspondences and documents on procurement related matters.
- Audit: document, evaluate and test systems, and control to determine their adequacy and effectiveness with respect to compliance with policies and procedures, the accomplishment of management's objectives, reliability and integrity of information, economic use of resources, and safeguarding of assets.
- Investigation: participate in investigation of cases of alleged misconduct, malfeasance, mismanagement, waste of resources, abuse of authority or violations of UN Rules
- Evaluation and management analysis: assist in the review of the relevance, efficiency, and effectiveness of Organizational programmes, and provide recommendations on structures, processes and management systems
- Analytics and Business Intelligence: use a different data warehouse, reporting and analytical tools to create reports from multiple sources, and support decision-making across the organization; manage data transactions, run queries and ensure timely data retrieval; investigate and solve specific reporting and data issues.
- Programme Management: participate in the analysis, planning, monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities of the organization.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to the client.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
At least a first-level university degree (i.e., Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent degree of at least three years) in one of the following areas (to be selected from the “Main Course of Study” dropdown menu):
- Business & Administration
- Environmental Protection
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Security Services
- Social & Behavioural Science
- Social Services
Important: when preparing your application in Inspira, please choose the field of study that is closest to your degree, from the "Field of Study" dropdown menu, and write the exact title of the degree (both in its original language and its translation in English or French). Do not select "other" for the main course of study or field of study.
No work experience is required. Relevant work experience may be taken into consideration as an additional screening criterion when more than 60 candidates from the same country apply to the same exam area.
Fluency (speaking, reading, writing, understanding fluently) in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, is required; knowledge of the other is desirable.
Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to apply
The assessment process is divided into 3 stages:
1. Screening of applications,
2. Written examination is taken online,
3. Oral examination.
Knowledge of UN languages may be tested at any of these stages.
Follow the link to apply and to see the full assessment process: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=138630&Lang=en-US