About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states - Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara - and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work and seek to integrate approaches, programs, and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development and private sector actors, civil societies, and communities. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Hygiene Promotion Officer
Location: Jigjiga, Tulligulid and Ararso in Somali Region and Negelle, Liben and Gumi Eldalo in Oromia Region
Number of Positions: six
The project is intended to reduce the transmission of COVID 19 in the community through strengthening active and passive surveillance and reduce the morbidity and mortality related to infectious diseases
General Position Summary
The position holder shall be in charge of leading hygiene promotion activities focusing on handwashing, social-behavioral change communications, and ensuring the supply of water and WASH kits to IDPs, host communities, and health facilities for COVID-19 prevention with active community engagement. S/He will mainly be responsible for the daily hygiene promotion activities in the community to enhance their awareness and strengthen preparedness and response capacities for COVID-19 prevention following global and national guidelines. S/He will also be responsible for day-to-day monitoring and reporting of the proper functioning of handwashing facilities, ensure availability of water at the hand washing stations, ensure appropriate and relevant information related to COVID-19 are being packed and delivered timely. S/he will work hand in hand with Government level COVID-19 response steering committees, WASH –COVID-19 task force, and humanitarian coordination units
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of WASH advisor and program coordinators, the hygiene promotion officer is responsible for implementations of COVID-19 related WASH interventions. Key job function includes the following:
Strategy and Vision
- Collaborate with other team members for effective integration between other activities like WASH, Nutrition and Health services
- Collaborate with local authorities and other partners to harmonize different efforts for better impact and sustainability.
- Able to learn and update his/ her information or knowledge to adapt to the changing situation and context
- The professional will be responsible for facilitating comprehensive and effective hygiene promotion activities to ensure quality service, aiming to prevent infections among patients in health facilities, IDPs, host communities, and Mercy Corps employees. Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcome;
- Review adequacy and effectiveness of the existing COVID-19 responses in respective woredas
- Identify the target behaviors to be promoted for the COVID-19 prevention and target settings in which to practice and promote these behaviors
- Identify appropriate participatory interventions maintaining social distancing and ensure these interventions are in line with global and national guidelines to avoid mixed message and confusion
- Implement hygiene promotion activities building on existing community engagement strategies
- Ensure that any adaptation made to the activities is promoting adequate hygiene behaviors that intercept transmission pathways of COVID-19.
- Set up a rapid feedback mechanism to learn from implementations and from social media outlets
- Ensure that handwashing stations are contact-free have sufficient daily water supply
- Ensure solid wastes from health facilities are properly collected, handled and disposed of at appropriate sites
- Ensure that water delivered to the community are chlorinated and properly stored and handled
- Facilitate and conduct regular woreda level field supports and routine review meetings with government staff and woreda level officials to monitor the implementation of hygiene promotion activities
- Prepare work plan on a quarterly and monthly basis and prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly reports
- Ensure mainstreaming of a standardized beneficiary feedback mechanism
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors, in consultation with the zonal coordinator
- Provide input and validation as needed on COVID-19
- Ensure global, national and regional COVID-19 guidelines is being followed and used as a guiding tool for woreda level implementations
- Ensure that ethical and sound data is collected for appropriate program analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy in line with the Mercy Corps MEAL strategy
- Responsible for the overall planning, implementation, and M&E of hygiene promotion activities specific to COVID-19 response in the assigned woreda
- Work any tasks assigned by the line manager and the organization
Team Building and Management
- Provide technical guidance for other team members on COVID-19 related WASH interventions
- Work very closely other MC teams to strengthen the hygiene promotion efforts
- Provide support to woreda COVID-19 steering committees to strengthen community-level hygiene promotion activities of COVID-19
- Provided formal and on the job training and supportive supervision for Mercy corps woreda level staff and government workers in relation to COVID-19 prevention.
Finance and Operations Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps’ regulations related to programming and operations.
- With the support of the Operations Manager, ensure adequate operational systems are in place to provide for program implementation;
- Ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources and transport needs of the program are conducted within Mercy Corps policy;
- Manage the program budget as the primary budget holder;
- Exercise sound judgment to ensure program expenses are reasonable, allocable, and prudent. Ensure all program funds are spent in accordance with donor rules and regulations. Work with Director of Programs to forecast expenditure surpluses and deficits to enable adjustments;
- Strictly follow Mercy Corps’ Fraud and Prevention guidelines.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
- Work with field-level MEL team members working on the program ;
- Ensure that the program team is continually gathering and digesting operating environment data and activity reports and that teams are holding frequent activity review sessions to continually re-examine the relevance and impact of their programming;
- Coordinate and share information with the humanitarian director, program managers;
- Working with the MEL team, develop a Learning Agenda for the program, and support the successful execution of learning and impact studies;
- Ensure program teams have community complaint and feedback mechanisms in place and that complaints and feedback being received are responded to within a timely manner.
Policy, Advocacy, Representation
- Represent Mercy Corps at academic events, conferences, media forums, and other events; contribute to thought COVID-19 response mechanisms;
- Identify and nurture strategic partnerships with other organizations and institutions working on respective regions;
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 06 August, 2020/ 4:00 PM