The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organization that runs philanthropic programs as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with an emphasis on job creation.
Established in 2011 as a UK based non-profit, the Foundation has already carried out more than 30 projects, primarily in Ethiopia and Somaliland. The key themes for the philanthropic side of the Foundation are education, health, water, and agriculture. Social enterprises cover all areas where the Foundation feels an effective impact can be made with the aim of sustainability and job creation.
Headquartered in London, the Foundation also has an operational HQ in Nairobi and offices in, Addis Ababa, Assosa, and Hargeisa.
- Finance and Admin Manager, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Finance Manager, Pharo Farm, Assosa
- Finance Manager, Pharo School, Homosha
External Relationships, among others:
- Employment authorities
- Government stakeholders service providers
The Finance and Administrative Coordinator is a senior leadership role based in Assosa. The role reports to the Program Manager based in Assosa but he/she will have direct and technical relationships with Finance and Administration Manager based in Addis Ababa. Tasked with proper management of financial and administrative operations of the Assosa Program office and provide financial information of the office to internal and external bodies. In addition, the incumbent will be a strong team leader and an excellent relationship manager, both internally and externally, with various stakeholders.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Finance and Accounting;
- Work closely with the Program Manager and other staff to ensure smooth operation and compliance with the organization’s financial standards and deadlines;
- Maintain accounting records, filing systems, and computer files;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations, follow-up, and clear outstanding reconciling items;
- Handling, processing, and reconciliation of petty cash, cash withdrawals, and deposits;
- Review supporting documents skeptically and ensure it is in line with the Foundation’s policies, tax laws, and other external regulatory requirements;
- Plan, organize and execute own and subordinates to meet the monthly reporting deadlines;
- Review payment for completeness and compliance before passing to approval;
- Ensure all request for payment includes tracking codes and ensure accurate recording to Xero;
- Acquaints himself/herself with the financial and accounting policies and procedures of The Pharo Foundation;
- Responsible for timely settlement of withholding tax and pension to local government bodies;
- Review construction payments before sending to the country office before payment and advice Finance and Admin Manager for any comments or concerns;
- Oversee Fixed Assets and stocks, ensure fixed asset register is maintained, stock balances are updated;
- Coordinate annual Fixed Assets and stock counts;
- Provide BVA to budget holders at the Program office level to ensure they fulfill their budget management responsibilities.
- Prepares payroll and arranges timely payment of salaries;
- Support country office finance during the audit and act on any weaknesses on internal control identified by the auditor for improvement;
- Perform month and year-end closing and reconciliation in collaboration with Finance and Admin Manager;
- Ensure Program Office vehicles are regularly maintained, insurance renewed and oversee vehicle fuel utilization,
- Ensure office rent agreement is renewed, payment effected on time and office facilities are fulfilled.
- Completes payroll related information and ensures all information are accurate and communicate to Addis Office Finance and Administration Manager
- Coordinate with procurement plan and ensure procurement plan is prepared and approved on time, and truck procurements together with Program Manager.
- Coordinates and ensures proper recording, use, and timely maintenance of the facilities, building, and equipment as per the policies and procedures thereon.
- Organizes and coordinates the efficient provision of office services, transport, maintenance, and other general services to the program unit and staff.
- Plans and prepares budgetary requirements of equipment, materials, maintenance of the property, and general service.
- Ensure utility services are there as appropriate and also ensures that monthly payments are done on time.
- Ensure all staff leaves recorded on the new HR BreathR system before staff goes for annual leave.
- Responsible for all security matters related to the wellbeing of the employees, movement of vehicles, the organization's properties and activities in the premises of the operation
- Any other related work assigned by his supervisor.
The position holder supervises all finance and Admin/HR function of the program Office.
Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- BA Degree in Accounting with a minimum of 5 years related experience;
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficient in computer skills particularly Microsoft Office, especially the use of Excel;
- Collaboration skills, being driven to work with others and able to build strong working relationships;
- Analytical thinking;
- Problem analysis and solving and consolidate financial information;
- Ability to manage and priorities a varied workload and work to deadlines;
- Good command of the English language and the ability to prepare reports;
- Excellent time-manager who can balance multiple priorities;
- Motivated to learn and perform and not afraid to ask questions;
- Good communicator and comfortable to work in a team environment;
- High professional and ethical standards;
Review of application packages will begin as soon as they are received and only complete application packages will be reviewed. In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact shortlisted candidates.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address: