International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT)
Position: Communications Officer III - Internal/External
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ababa Abeba - Ethiopia
Salary: Monthly Base Salary: Birr 63,502
Posted date: 2 months ago
Deadline: Submition date is over
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) seeks to recruit a Communication Officer III who will be a member of CIMMYT Ethiopia located at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Addis Ababa campus.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is an autonomous, non-profit making, the international scientific organization operating under the aegis of the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). More specifically its mission is to encourage, support and undertake activities to improve the productivity, profitability, and sustainability of maize and wheat systems in the interest of the resource-poor in developing countries.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation of a communications strategy, in coordination with CIMMYT;
- Produce communication information and materials on Communication activities. Communication products which will include, but are not limited to fact sheets, case studies, press releases, success stories, photos, videos, social media posts, presentations, and website content;
- Serve as the point of contact for communication needs for projects and as the in-house expert on branding and marking for all CIMMYT communication materials and deliverables;
- Coordinate and organize events leveraging local and international media relationships (if needed and approved); prepare and overseeing interviews for different medias; developing messaging; drafting, editing, and tracking; drafting speeches, talking points and press releases;
- Coordinate with Project Leaders on the project communications and outreach;
- Supervise third-party communication support services contracts for example media monitoring, photography and videography, translation services, graphic design, and printing;
- Support partners in developing activity-level strategic communications and branding and implementation plans, and building their capacity in writing, photography, and videography;
- Report writing, consolidation, editing and reviewing of the project reports, both ad hoc requests and the contractual report deliverables;
- Liaise with CIMMYT HQ and regional communications team to share project updates and stories;
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisors.
Academic and professional qualifications:
- BSc degree relevant to a professional discipline such as Media, Journalism, or Communication, Knowledge Management, Journalism, or a related field
- Relevant professional certification in Corporate communications.
- The candidate is required to have a minimum of seven years of experience directly involved in media, outreach, and communications in the development sector and/or donor contexts. At least 3 years of working knowledge in communication development, research, corporate, or international environment is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to liaise with representatives from the development sector, local media, local government, and other relevant actors.
- Clear understanding and demonstrated skills in outreach and coordination of organizational messaging are required.
- The candidate must have demonstrated experience in leading consultations and facilitation of various teams with diverse backgrounds and development perspectives and principles.
- Demonstrated familiarity and expertise with a diverse range of communications approaches and tools.
- Strong writing and speaking skills, particularly writing speeches, talking points, social media posts, and various public outreach documents.
- Ability to lead meetings and presentations with internal and external stakeholders
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Grade: HG 15
Minimum Monthly Base Salary: Birr 63,502 (negotiable depending on the salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position, initial appointment is for two years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes a very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc.