Position: Logistics Coordinator
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Mekelle, Tigray region - Ethiopia
Posted date: 2 months ago
Deadline: Submition date is over
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender equality, youth, research, technology, communication, and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development and humanitarian challenge in more than 70 countries. FHI 360’s Crisis Response team is responding to the humanitarian emergency in Northern Ethiopia, focusing on emergency health, nutrition, protection and WASH activities to support the goal of reducing morbidity and mortality.
FHI 360 Crisis Response in Ethiopia is seeking a Logistics Coordinator to oversee procurements, fleet management, warehousing management, and asset and property management. Based in Mekelle, the Logistics Coordinator is responsible for the overall leadership in planning, executing, and coordinating the efforts of Logs team members and stakeholders in order to ensure smooth operations of the program. The Logistics Coordinator is a problem solver who resolves bottlenecks and implements changes for the success of the project. Additionally, the Logistics Coordinator will take the lead on ensuring logistical efficiency and ensuring that all aspects are compliant with FHI 360’s policies. The position is envisioned for an initial 5-month period, with the possibility of extension.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES:
- Develop standard protocols for essential logistic processes, including procurement requisitions, warehouse management, and commodity dispatch. Special emphasis is to be placed on establishing international and in-country pharmaceutical and medical equipment supply chains, including importation, handling, and dispatch to the field.
- Identify, establish, and run facilities in emergencies, including office, residence, warehousing, and other critical infrastructure.
- Identify transportation requirements, secure transportation assets, and lead fleet allocation, including fuel, maintenance, and driver pool.
- Establish and maintain asset and inventory registry in the field, including equipment allocation & maintenance, and dispose of assets in accordance with donor regulations.
- Ensure logistic and procurement activities are properly documented and fully adhere to United States Government (USG) export compliance as well as destination country importation & customs regulations and relevant protocols.
- Collaborate with HQ support departments and CR Logistics Specialists to identify logistics process bottlenecks and develop solutions appropriate for operations.
- Settle field operating costs allocated to logistics and procurement, including expense forecast and pipeline analysis.
- Identify staffing requirements and supervise logistics personnel for the response; strengthen capacity and develop training programs for national logistics staff.
APPLIED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- In-depth knowledge of humanitarian procurement, budgeting, and supply chain management best practices.
- Experience with relevant USAID/BHA policies and regulations. Capable negotiator, with significant and geographically varied experience establishing contracts, managing vendors, and ensuring products/services are delivered per specifications.
- Knowledge of international donor procurement regulations and expertise in fraud detection and investigation techniques are necessary.
- Strong interpersonal skills and display evidence of good leadership and influencing skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and be comfortable participating both as an effective contributor and a listener in group settings which include senior staff.
- Well-organized, resourceful, effective and efficient at coordinating multiple resources to get things done and must have a proven track record of successfully working on multiple tasks at once and foresees and plans around obstacles.
- Demonstrated sensitivity in diverse, cross-cultural settings.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of complex scope that require analysis and in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Erroneous decisions or recommendations may cause critical delays or modifications to projects or operations.
- Ability to exercise judgment that contributes to the organization’s business strategies and develops objectives that align with the department’s strategic goals.
- Must be able to provide accurate, expert-level advice to reach outcomes that will enable the achievement of overall department and organization goals.
- Demonstrates a responsive, professional attitude that is solution-oriented.
- Decisions and actions have a serious impact on the overall success of the function
- Regularly interacts with senior management and HQ-based staff.
- Leads by “managing managers” or other direct/indirect reports in the region/functional area.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and empower individuals to achieve expectations and goals set for the functional unit.
- Provide input on country/project staff performance reviews.
- In coordination with senior management, hire/terminate country/project staff.
- Reports to the Response Coordinator
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 5 years of relevant humanitarian logistics and management experience in an emergency context
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Supply Chain, Logistics, Economics, Finance, Engineering or Business Administration.
- Master's degree or other advanced degree preferred.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel, internet)
- English fluency is required, and fluency in a local language a plus.
- Strategic vision
- People Management
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screens and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift/move up to 5 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Laptop, Microsoft applications (i.e., Office 365, SharePoint, Skype/Zoom/Teams), cell phone/mobile technology, and standard office equipment.
- Greater than 25% throughout Ethiopia
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.