International Rescue Committee - IRC
Position: Environmental Health Assistant
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Aleta Wendo, Ethiopia
Posted date: 3 months ago
Deadline: Submition date is over
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation, and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Under the direct supervision of the EH Officer the EH Assistant will be involved in site-level planning, construction/rehabilitation and supervision of water supply and sanitation facilities. The position also requires accurate management of skilled and unskilled labor, suppliers, contractors, construction materials, equipment and other resources under the program and reporting periodically to supervisors.
- Assist the EH officer in drawing up a detailed activity implementation plan, preparation of BOQ and raise Purchase Requests for construction/rehabilitation of water supply and sanitation facilities.
- Assist the EH officer and work closely with the local community and local administration in setting up water supply and sanitation facilities and community mobilization.
- Inspect and ensure the required quantity and quality of construction materials are delivered to construction sites.
- Mobilize, coordinate and handle labor, material, and equipment at site level for the construction/rehabilitation of water supply and sanitation facilities.
- coordinate and provide the required artisan/technician skill at site level in rehabilitation and/or new construction of water supply facilities (including spring development and construction, hand-dug wells construction/rehabilitation, hand pump or rope pumps installation/repair, plumbing and construction of rooftop rainwater harvesting systems, expansion or connecting health facilities with the existing water supply system);
- Coordinate and provide the required artisan/technician skill in the construction of sanitation facilities (including emergency communal latrines, household latrines, slab production, and institutional latrines);
- Keep daily records of construction progress, material and labor utilization and prepare and submit weekly & monthly progress reports to their supervisor.
- Supervise and collect the required information while supervising the project's progress and the project output in the community.
- Prepare completion reports and as-built drawings of completed water supply and sanitation facilities and report them to their supervisor.
- Prepare scheme detail profile or data and keep recording the vital information such as GPS, discharge, distance from woreda town, well history, beneficiaries, other NGO working in the area, partners involvement, community participation in cash and kind)
- Support Capacity building assistants in scheme handover and community sensitization whenever required.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by his supervisor/s.
- Degree/Diploma in Water Supply Technician, Construction, Water Engineering, or related field from universities or Technical and Vocational Training Centers and/or above
- Experience in Leading labor and material at construction sites.
- Experience in mobilizing the community to Facilitate labor and locally available construction material during construction.
- 2 years of experience for diploma holders or 0-year work experience for first degree.
- A minimum of six-month IRC Internship service is a plus.
- NGO experience is a plus.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.