Economic Commission for Africa (ECA)
Position: Protocol Officer
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: PCKMD - Addis Ababa, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
Posted date: 4 months ago
Deadline: Submition date is over
Organization Setting and Reporting
The Economic Commission for Africa's (ECA) mission is to deliver ideas and actions for an empowered and transformed Africa; informed by the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
The mission will be guided by ECA's five strategic directions which are: Advancing ECA's position as a premier knowledge institution that builds on its unique position and privilege to bring global solutions to the continent's problems and take a local solution to the continent; developing macroeconomic and structural policy options to accelerate economic diversification and job creation; designing and implementing innovative financing models for infrastructure, and for human, physical and social assets for a transforming Africa; contributing solutions to regional and transboundary challenges, with a focus on peace security and social inclusion as an important development nexus; advocating Africa's position at the global level and developing regional responses as a contribution to global governance issues.
This position is located in the Publications & Conference Management Section (PCMS) within the Publications Conference and Knowledge Management Division (PCKMD) in the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The incumbent works under the direct supervision of the Chief, PCMS.
Within the delegated authority, the Protocol Officer will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Provides protocol coverage, including integration with travel and transport, to meetings and events involving the Executive Secretary, and the Deputy Executive Secretaries, both at UNECA and away from UNECA, as well as to visits to the United Nations by high-level dignitaries.
- Liaises with the Office of the Executive Secretary and the Executive Office of the Secretary-General on the organization of bilateral meetings with foreign dignitaries.
- Assists with bilateral meetings, liaises with Member States to confirm arrangements and coordinates with UN Security. Makes arrangements for other aspects of the meetings such as flags or interpretation. Escorts to and from bilateral meetings.
- Assists, when required, other Protocol Officers, in the organization of official visits by Heads of State, Heads of Government, ministers and other VIPs to the United Nations. Supports the Conference Services in organizing and preparing official visits of the Secretary-General, Deputy Secretary-General and high-level UN senior officials to Ethiopia.
- Assists in ceremonies for the presentation of letters of credentials/letters of appointment to the Secretary-General by newly appointed Permanent Representatives / Permanent Observers.
- Provides the necessary protocol and liaison services in English and French to the Permanent Missions of the countries assigned to him/her, as well as to the United Nations Secretariat and other stakeholders. Advises Permanent Missions, Observer Offices and Secretariat staff on matters of protocol and procedures.
- Keeps abreast of government and political developments in the group of countries under his/her responsibility. Maintains up-to-date information on the composition of governments of Member States and intergovernmental organizations.
- Evaluates and authorizes applications for registration of delegates from Member States, Observer Officers, Intergovernmental Organizations and Specialized Agencies attending official calendar and other meetings at headquarters and abroad.
- Collects and analyses data to identify trends or patterns and provides insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Knowledge of protocol and/or event management in a governmental or international organization context including knowledge of working with host governments.
- Knowledge of norms, rules and customs of international diplomatic protocol, including practices developed within the United Nations System.
- Knowledge of administrative procedures and practices of international organizations such as the United Nations.
- Familiarity with the United Nations Flag Code and Regulations, United Nations Order of Precedence and United Nations Manual of Protocol.
- Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, and make conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provides insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
- Uses time efficiently
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ?clients? and seeks to see things from clients? points of view.
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.
- Identifies clients? needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients? environment to keep informed and anticipate problems.
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects.
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to the client.
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority.
- Ability to regularly discuss performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff.
- An advanced university degree (Master?s degree or equivalent) in international relations, political science, public administration or related fields is required. A first-level degree (Bachelor?s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in protocol, external relations or a related area is required.
- Experience in an international organization and/or the United Nations System is desirable.
- Work experience in the area of protocol or event management in a multilateral and bilateral protocol setting is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the Secretariat. For the advertised position, fluency in English is required; knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.