Position: Coffee Programs - MEL Manager
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
Posted date: 4 months ago
Deadline: Submition date is over
General Information? ? ? ? ? ? ??
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe has assisted over 200,000 smallholder coffee households in East Africa to improve their incomes by increasing the quality of the coffee they produce, boosting their coffee production and linking them to premium markets. Going forward, TechnoServe is developing innovative approaches and partnerships with corporations to enable more smallholder coffee households in East Africa to achieve livelihood security. In Ethiopia alone, TechnoServe has supported over 150,000 smallholder coffee households to improve their coffee productivity and to improve overall coffee business over the past 10 years.
Reporting to the Senior Coffee Programs Manager, the position will provide management of the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) components of the different Coffee Programs currently being implemented in Ethiopia. The M&E Manager will work closely with the Senior Coffee Programs Manager, the Regional MEL team, and external consultants/contractors in day-to-day job activities. S/he will be responsible for managing the entire M&E data capture and analysis processes to support internal and external reporting functions.
Summary Duties & Responsibilities
Monitoring of coffee projects data:
- Develop and improve monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems to track project performance
- Manage the entire data cycle, from data collection to entry, storage, analysis and reporting. While the coffee MEL Manager will be overseeing the MEL staff for the data collection, entry, and storage activities, he/she will be directly in charge of analysis and reporting.
- Design and conduct different surveys (Baseline, Midline, End line).
- Oversee Coffee MEL staff to ensure they implement MEL activities accurately. This includes regular field visits to develop and review monitoring plans with technical teams.
- Support new projects to set up MEL systems.
- Build the capacity of MEL staff members and on-board new staff across different projects.
- Bachelor?s Degree in Economics, Statistics and related field with a minimum of seven (7) years or Master's Degree with five (5) years of work experience in M&E;
- Experience working on Excel and Stata for data analysis please take note that knowledge and experience in STATA is mandatory;
- Experience managing team members;
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills a must ? The candidate should be able to communicate excellently in both English and Amharic;
- Ability to develop well-written, cohesive analyses and reports;
- Personnel management experience required;
- Willingness to travel to the field regularly
- Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates the open exchange of ideas and information; use appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision-making/Problem-Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, and demonstrating sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results-Oriented/High-Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department?s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.?