Position: Africa CDC Deputy Director General
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
Posted date: 6 months ago
Deadline: Submition date is over
Purpose of Job
To assist the Director General of the Africa Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) in delivering his mandate by leading the operational coordination of the Commission?s departments and non-elected staff in order to ensure high performance, results and impact.
- Facilitates the identification of top priorities for the senior leadership of the Africa CDC?s 4-year mandate.
- Translates the senior leadership priorities into annual targets and goals and establishes a robust Commission-wide framework for monitoring and tracking progress.
- Provides regular reports to the Director General of Africa CDC on the implementation and monitoring of strategic and annual plans;
- Supports the implementation of the New Public Health Order as the main Africa CDC Agenda by supporting initiatives across the organs;
- Monitors and tracks progress in the delivery of the Africa CDC?s annual performance targets;
- Ensures effective collaboration in program development and implementation with the AU organs;
- Collaborates with other members of the senior leadership team to ensure strategic coherence and overall synergy in the implementation of the Africa CDC?s programs and the delivery of high-impact results for the continent;
- Cultivates a knowledge management culture through the promotion of research and publications that will ensure knowledge sharing and transfer across the Africa CDC; and
- Drives performance and delivery across the Africa CDC?s senior management and inspires high performance, teamwork, and delivery across the portfolio.
- Ensure effective execution of the Africa CDC?s multi-year Strategic Plan.
- Participate and fully share in the responsibility for planning, managing and evaluating the programmatic aspects of the Africa CDC.
- Lead the development of long-term multi-year strategic goals and objectives for public health programs and initiatives.
- Ensure accountability for and adherence to internal controls and external regulations, laws and policies applicable to Africa CDC programs and activities and requirements of key stakeholders and donors.
- Ensure delivery of comprehensive and timely accountability reporting to the Director General for informing the agency Governing Board and key stakeholders as appropriate.
- Represent Africa CDC at high-level technical and strategic engagements ensuring the Vision of Africa CDC is well understood within the global public health space.
- Lead, coordinate and ensure regular evaluation of agency programs and research activities in collaboration with the secretariat?s leadership.
- Identify the need for change in organization priorities and acts to implement such changes, communicate related outcomes, change and action plans to internal and external audiences as effectively as possible.
- Establish, develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of the Governing and other Advisory Boards, other agency leaders, key stakeholders and other public health partners.
- Ensures appropriate, effective and timely resolution of issues and problems regarding agency activities and programs raised to the Secretariat by Member States and other Constituents.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain a high-performing team; empower, energize and develop overall staff capacity.
- Perform any duties assigned by the Director General.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Degree equivalent to a Doctor of Medicine or Ph.D. in Relevant Medical Sciences from a recognized institute or university. In addition, to the Doctor of Medicine or a Ph.D, a Master?s degree in public health (MPH), or epidemiology or equivalent is required.
- At least 15 years of experience in public health management, planning, or public policy development with evidence of ever-increasing levels of responsibility at the national level or above.
- At least 15 years of proven experience in the operational management of a public health organization at the country, regional or continental level, with at least ten (10) years of managerial experience involving a minimum of five (5) years of supervisory exposure.
- Preferably having a working experience in international organizations
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Demonstrate strong leadership and management experience, excellent organizational human and financial management skills, very good interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to Interact with a variety of stakeholders including, at a high level and excellent report writing and reporting skills to diverse audiences and at various levels;
- Excellent strategic visioning, planning, Implementation, monitoring and evaluations and reporting skills;
- Demonstrated record of setting clear standards for accountability, probity, value for money and risk management and zero tolerance to fraud and corruption; for ensuring sound and transparent financial management; and delivering continuous improvement, impact, efficiency and effectiveness;
- Demonstrated intellectual leadership, creativity and proven ability to propose new ideas and lead on new ways of working across silos in a complementary and synergistic way for a prosperous, healthy and peaceful Africa;
- Proven track record of change management and accomplishments at the regional, national or international level with strong resource mobilization, political and diplomatic skills;
- Demonstrate clear understanding of scientific evidence and the ability to translate scientific evidence into recommendations for public health policy;
- Good grounding on regional and international policy frameworks and strategies on the African developmental agenda and specifically Agenda 2063 and the SDGs;
- Working knowledge of research, policy development and analysis, programs development and management, and project management.
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Kiswahili, Spanish, Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) will be an important added advantage
- Strategic Focus
- Developing Organizational Capability
- Change Leadership
- Strategic Risk Management
- Building Partnership
- Drives Accountability Culture:
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Impact
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing...
- Drive for Result
- Fosters Innovation
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a mandate of four (4) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the mandate shall be renewable once.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 100,017.00 (D2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance up to US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.