Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Position: Expert: Governance
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Posted date: 6 months ago
Deadline: Submition date is over
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa?s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve this objective, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of its organizational structure and recruiting experts to support the work of its Divisions and Units.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the position of Expert: Governance in the Directorate of Governance and Conflict Prevention of the Department for Political Affairs, Peace and Security. Under the direct supervision of the Director of Governance and Conflict Prevention and in close collaboration with the Heads of Divisions/Units, the Expert on Governance shall design effective strategies for mainstreaming governance in peace and security as a strategy for conflict prevention in view of the African Union normative frameworks.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Expert: Governance shall perform the following tasks which may include:
- Undertaking conflict and context analysis, actor and issues mapping in order to unpack governance issues and inform the design of strategies for effective conflict prevention.
- Reviewing existing AU normative frameworks, guidelines and policies on governance in order to identify gaps in implementation and recommending possible interventions in order to strengthen capacities for conflict prevention including governance issues.
- Undertaking analysis and monitoring of political transitions, and post-conflict contexts in order to assess the impact of ongoing interventions in order to prevent relapse into conflicts.
- Assessing strategies being undertaken by the AU, RECs/RMs and Member States to make societies resilient to violent conflicts by strengthening local capacities for peace in order to create platforms for lessons learning and experience sharing.
- Organizing seminars, workshops and other related activities in the area of conflict prevention with various stakeholders.
- Drafting speeches, talking points, reports of activities and specific missions.
- Providing advice on conflict prevention for input into official communications, statements and other documents.
- Liaising with the AU Regional Offices on governance and conflict prevention issues.
- Performing any other relevant tasks assigned by supervisors.
- Candidates must have at least a Master's Degree in Political Science, Governance Conflict and Peace Studies, Law, International Relations or other disciplines related to the major duties.
- Candidates must have at least 8 years of relevant working experience in the area of Peacebuilding, Conflict Analysis and Prevention, Social Cohesion, Governance, and Human Rights including experience in research, analysis, conflict mapping, scenario planning, capacity building, training, technical cooperation activities, planning and budgeting.
Other Relevant Skills
- Computer literacy.
- Ability to work in a team and maintain team spirit.
- Ability to work under pressure, and to act with discretion in a politically sensitive environment and establish good working relationships both with Government authorities and colleagues.
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills.
- Good communication and negotiating skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages. Knowledge of one or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
What we offer
Rewarding work for a renowned global organisation
Access to a network of humanitarian, peace, and development professionals
A dedicated Staff Care Unit