Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Position: Expert: Democracy and Elections
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Posted date: 6 months ago
Deadline: Submition date is over
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
The African Union, established as a unique Pan-African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa?s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, the capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve this objective, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of its organizational structure and recruiting experts to support the work of its Divisions and Units.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the position of Expert: Democracy and Elections in the Directorate of Governance and Conflict Prevention of the Department for Political Affairs, Peace and Security. Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Democracy and Elections Unit, the Expert on Democracy and Elections shall provide technical assistance and support to the work of democratic governance particularly related to elections
Duties and Responsibilities
The Expert: Democracy and Elections shall perform the following tasks which may include:
- Assisting in planning, preparing and implementing programme activities relating to democracy and elections as well as preparing budgets.
- Organizing seminars, workshops and other related activities in the field of democracy and elections with various stakeholders.
- Drafting speeches, talking points, reports of activities and specific missions.
- Providing advice on democracy and elections issues, including input into official communications, statements and other documents.
- Liaising with the AU Regional Offices on democracy and elections issues.
- Assisting in mainstreaming democracy and elections core values in the programs of the African Union.
- Assisting in developing and maintaining appropriate working relations with AU Organs and partners of the African Union on issues relating to democracy and elections.
- Conducting analysis and research on issues related to elections and democratic governance and providing expert advice on interventions necessary for effective implementation of AU normative frameworks, standards and guidelines.
- Performing any other relevant tasks assigned by supervisors.
- Candidates must have at least a Master's Degree in Law, Political Science, International Relations or other disciplines related to the major duties.
- Candidates must have at least 8 years of relevant working experience in the area of Democracy, Governance, Human Rights and Elections including experience in capacity building, training, technical cooperation activities, planning and budgeting.
Other Relevant Skills
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to work in a team and maintain team spirit;
- Ability to work under pressure, and to act with discretion in a politically sensitive environment and establish good working relationships both with Government authorities and colleagues;
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills;
- Good communication and negotiating skills;
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages. Knowledge of one or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
What we offer
- Rewarding work for a renowned global organization
- Access to a network of humanitarian, peace, and development professionals
- A dedicated Staff Care Unit