Danish Refugee Council
Position: Head of Programme
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Posted date: 1 month ago
Application Deadline: Submition date is over
The overall purpose of the role and geographical scope:
DRC Ethiopia is looking for its next Head of Programmes. We are looking for someone with substantial programme management and leadership experience to oversee a diverse programme portfolio in Ethiopia. The DRC Ethiopia programme is implemented in a challenging context, with conflict and natural disaster-driven displacement, challenging access environment and constantly changing security conditions, and with an evolving, complex country program. The Head of Programme will join DRC Ethiopia at an interesting time, overseeing high-quality programming across the country, including both humanitarian and nexus programming. As part of the SMT and working closely with the CD and HoSS, this role is vital to continue the momentum that has been started in driving our country-level vision and guiding the implementation of area and technical-level strategies, with responsibility for rolling out quality assurance across all programmes and implementing the 2022-2025 country strategy. It is a fast-moving role, providing technical support and guidance to country operations in a constantly changing environment, designing new programmes and ensuring that the program portfolio remains strategic, of high quality and compliant.? ??
The key functions of this role are to:
- Ensure the rollout of the overall programmatic strategy across the entire country operation
- Ensure the provision of high-quality and relevant technical guidance and oversight to all area offices and partners within DRC?s priority sectors: protection, WASH and economic recovery
- Engage and lead DRC Ethiopia in nexus programming developing the conflict resolution and peace-building sector
- Enable and oversee the monitoring and evaluation of activities across the entire country's operation
- Lead and oversee proposal development and business development
- Oversee effective grants and project management processes
- Maintain high standards of internal and external representation.
The Head of Program works under the direct supervision of the Country Director based in Addis Ababa and liaises with all program and operations across Ethiopia. S/he has the following specific responsibilities.
Program Strategy, Management & Development
- Contribute to the sustainable management of program growth and quality aligned with the Country and Area strategies;
- Oversee effective, efficient and timely implementation of all projects according to agreed contracts, budgets, and policies and in accordance with specific donor requirements;
- Lead the planning and development of concept papers, proposals and budgets with support from the country team;
- Provide regular internal and external reports, and other relevant information on programme activities, policy matters and external relations;
- Foster synergies between programme areas and supporting integrated approaches where applicable;
- Support the Country Director to ensure effective coordination and visibility of the implementation of the projects with all humanitarian and development actors and in advocacy at all levels.
Fundraising, Grant proposals writing & reporting processes
- Lead and oversee the drafting of concept notes, proposals, and donor reports by program in coordination with support departments in line with DRC HQ/Region and donor requirements. Lead and oversee program design, and quality assure all proposals and processes ahead of timely submission.
- Oversee the work of the program support functions, and accurate and detailed budgeting to make sure timely and coherent budget preparation for all new proposals and budget revisions.?
- Ensure timely, quality reports and targeted communications are submitted to all donors and relevant internal and external parties in coordination with the Country Director, Regional Office, HQ and other program stakeholders.
Program Quality, Implementation & Coordination
- Provide oversight, guidance, and leadership to all aspects of program implementation in DRC Ethiopia, with a particular focus on program quality;
- Collaborate closely with Area Managers and provide daily oversight to programmatic technical needs;
- Participate and contribute to the Grants and BFU meetings ensuring with the HoSS that there is accountability and responsibility being taken appropriately;
- Support the Grants teams with go/no go meetings, kick-off meetings and follow-up meetings as required;
- Support the technical teams to provide timely, proactive and appropriate technical support to program implementation across all area operations, and ensure consistent and standard technical quality across all programs.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Support the MEAL team in the institutionalization of monitoring, tracking and reporting systems that generate meaningful lesson learning, evidence of impact and provide data for effective programmatic decision-making;
- Ensure that all projects have sound monitoring frameworks, and contribute to measuring impact and are in line with DRC?s country strategic plan;
- Ensure quality programming by coordinating the technical support provided by the Regional Office and HQ and contributing to the development of M&E tools and indicators and other quality improvement initiatives;
- Promote learning and knowledge management within the country program.
- Program Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Continue the development of a technically excellent team in accordance with programmatic and country-level strategy. Develop overall staff competence through leadership, training, and coaching of key technical and management program staff;
- Collaborate closely with the Head of Support Services to ensure a holistic approach to staff support, budget development and internal process and policy development, and a one-team approach to program implementation.
Donor liaison, Partnerships and Representation
- As required represent DRC to existing and potential donors;
- Cultivate key relationships that enhance DRC?s visibility and credibility as an implementing partner amongst all agencies;
- Identify local NGOs/partners with whom to cooperate and partner.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC?s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and Technical competencies
- Master?s degree in law, social sciences, international development or related field;
- At least 7 years of experience in managing complex program operations in humanitarian or development contexts, including 3 years in Senior Management;
- Experience working in complex operating environments, including in conflict-affected environments;
- Demonstrated experience and skills in proposal development, budget development, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Ability to think and work strategically and creatively, with attention to detail and experience troubleshooting and problem-solving in complex settings;
- Proven leadership skills and competence in people management and leading by example;
- Proven experience in effectively coordinating with national governments, and international, and national NGO partners;
- Proven experience in managing a diverse programme portfolio and comprehensive budget oversight;
- Full professional proficiency in English is required
What we offer
Contract: 1 Year Contract with the possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance.
Salary: in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council?s Terms of Employment Management Band/ E.
Availability: June 2023.
Duty station: Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
Reporting Line: Country Director
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
DRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff within its programs. As such, we strongly encourage national and diaspora candidates to apply for this position. However, candidates should take into consideration that DRC cannot employ, under an international contract, a national of the country in which he or she will be working (in this case, the Republic of Ethiopia).
Promoting high standards: DRC?s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP?s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC?s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.