Position: Construction Engineer
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Semera, Ethiopia
Posted date: 2 months ago
Application Deadline: Submition date is over
Summary of Key Functions and Accountabilities
- Overall monitoring/supervision of construction across all regions.
- Preparation of construction work plans in conjunction with the supervising firms.
- Keep major construction management components in check like performance bonds & Bank guarantees.
- Monthly reporting – suggesting solutions for identified challenges.
- Collaboration with UNICEF Programmes/Operations and coordination with Government counterparts and other stakeholders.
Preparation of design and technical documents
- Support supply section on the procurement process for goods and services.
- Support supply section in bidding processes including technical evaluations.
- Preparation of design and technical documents
- Apply UNICEF norms and standards (child-friendly, accessibility, MOSS, MORSS, etc.) to construction projects, taking into consideration the local environment and available materials; verify if compliance with green building standards is required in coordination with DFAM Field Support Unit.
- Check technical documents related to construction (design drawings, technical specifications and bills of quantities); verify whether they are clear, complete and compliant to programmatic and construction needs, eco-efficiency and accessibility requirements; undertake the actions required to endorse these technical documents by relevant ministries.
- Follow up with the designing firms and government entities for obtaining all permits required for construction activities prior to initiating works.
Support to the procurement process
- Support in providing technical documents including design drawings and BoQ’s.
- Support in carrying out technical and or financial evaluations during the bidding process including.
- Support in accessing market prices and demands and inform both engineering and procurement teams so they could keep updated with market prices on the local market.
- Support in preparing tender documents in relation to construction works and engineering estimates as per the latest local market prices; attend bidders' conference meetings and support in draft answers to technical questions raised by the bidders during the tendering.
- Support Supply section in organizing bidders' conferences and site visits; participate in the Mobilization meetings and site handover with contractors, take center in supervision and quality assurance all through to substantial evaluation and monitoring of the DLP to final handover of the projects.
Other expected deliverables (where applicable)
- Quality assurance - indicators developed for all types of construction structures supported by UNICEF.
- Quality assurance - monitoring all developed plans according to UNICEF.
- Support the development of a Joint construction Annual work plan.
- Ensure quality and adhere to UN/ Ethiopian standards where applicable for all planned / ongoing constructions. e.g school classrooms, and child-friendly spaces in different regions of the country.
- Provide written progress report on the implementation of construction under his / her control including quality assessment based on a joint construction plan.
- Provision of remedial actions for problems encountered- plans to mitigate future reoccurrences.
- Provide actual progress against expenditures of each of the construction projects his or her control for checks and balances grant status.
- Take lead in providing Minutes of Bi-weekly review meetings and follow up on action points with Project Managers or supervisor
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A university degree in civil engineering, construction engineering or management, architecture, or other relevant areas.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant professional experience in Construction project monitoring, site supervision, quality assurance and/or other construction directly related technical fields are required.
- Ability to use Auto card and other related engineering software e.g. Revit.
- Understanding of development and humanitarian work.
- Emergency experience is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF is committed to promoting the protection and safeguarding of all children. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF’s active commitment to diversity and inclusion is critical to delivering the best results for children. For this position, eligible and qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.