African Union Commission - AUC
Position: Service Delivery Advisor
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa - Ethiopia
Salary: US$ 50,746.00
Posted date: 2 years ago
Deadline: Submition date is over
Reports to: Director-General
Directorate/Department: Office of the Director-General
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
Directs and manages the daily operations of the Director Generals Office in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals..
- Provides technical and intellectual support in the coordination of tasks within the office of the Director-General and in relation to the operations and activities of the service departments.
- Identifies best practices and monitors the effectiveness of the Office’s support to AU.
- Contributes to the development of strategies to ensure coordination of activities of service departments and implementation of a related business continuity plan
- Supports the organization of thematic networks, consultations, and meetings on cooperation, interdepartmental and inter-organizational relations.
- Provides technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation projects in the area of specialization, as required.
- Manages, supervises, and provides the necessary training for employees within the Office of the Director-General and ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Designs strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of the activities of the Office of the Director-General.
- Maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in the Member States and partner institutions in the execution of the mandate of the Office of the Director-General.
- Represents the organization and communicates its position at conferences.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at the division level.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Reviews documents/communications/files received from the Chairperson/Deputy Chairperson/Commissioners and provides an update to the Director-General on same, while the action is expected to be taken by the respective service department
- Provides all necessary information to the Director-General, to allow accurate and timely exchange with Commissioners/Chairperson/Deputy Chairperson as appropriate on status of files and their review update
- Manages centralized archives management system of the ODG, in relation to service departments and their activities and/or programs.
- Coordinates the office’s activities related to service departments that are external to the Commission, and facilitates the organization of meetings addressing the particular subject/program
- Oversees the budget formulation and implementation procedure and processes of service departments as well as autonomous offices and organs, and advises the Director-General
- Monitors and tracks progress in the delivery of the Commission’s annual work plan and performance targets along with their budget execution records;
- Provides technical support to the Director-General in determining annual performance targets for the Commission;
- Provides technical support and advice to the Director-General in the preparation of reports to the Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson on progress and challenges in the implementation of the annual work plan of service departments;
- Supports the Director-General in his/her tasks of coordinating the preparation of the Chairperson of the Commission’s annual performance report for consideration by the Executive Council, reflecting the overall Commission’s performance in its different directorates, in terms of budget, program’s execution, and conformity to plans;
- Provides support to the ODG in following up on the implementation of the major statutory programs run by the Commission as well as its action plans.
- Leads and supervises the compilation of information and manages the presentation of quarterly activity progress reports on thematic areas for consideration by the Director-General
- Reviews and presents recommendations for the Director General’s approval, to guide action plans proposed by departments;
- Supports the office in putting in place/preparing or improving work processes and procedures, ensuring their codification and formulation in manuals format;
- Ensures proper implementation of the process and procedures manuals internally within the office and at Commission’s level, in coordination with relevant departments; allows the creation of a synergy between the strategic orientation and the operations of service/support departments, while ensuring that program duplication is avoided.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Law, Finance, Management, International Relations or a related field from a recognized institution with twelve (12) years of relevant professional experience with at least seven (7) years served in senior management or advisory role preferably in an inter-governmental organization or national government/public service, international or regional institution, and a minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience
- Experience and understanding of the role and function of service departments, related files in either public or private organizations is required. Strong coordination and facilitation experience at the strategic level.
- Experience in formulating and improving working methods, systems, and processes. Knowledge and understanding of policies, standards, and processes
- Qualification in Project Management will be an added advantage
- Leadership and management skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Planning and organizing skills
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, standards, and processes
- Communication, presentation, and report writing skills
- Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite (Powerpoint, word, excel, infographics, etc) and AU computer software systems
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve program delivery
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural setting (political and diplomatic work environment)
- Proficiency in one of the AU Official working languages (French, English, Arabic, Portuguese, or Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(e) is an advantage.
Foster Accountability Culture:
Communicating with impact:
Job Knowledge and information sharing:
Drive for result:
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.