African Union (AU)
Position: Head, Sustainable Environment Division
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Salary: $50,746.00 per annum
Posted date: 1 month ago
Application Deadline: Submition date is over
Reports to: Director of Industry, Mining, and Entrepreneurship
Directorate/Department: Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy
Division: Sustainable Environment
Number of Direct Reports: 5
Number of Indirect Reports: 12
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
Directs and manages the daily operations of the Sustainable Environment Division in order to achieve the strategic objectives of the directorate and the AU’s overall goals.
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance as per the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensures implementation at the Division level;
- Manages risk within the Division and recommends mitigation strategies;
- Designs and plans policy programs to achieve the strategies;
- Develops new and review activities as components of the strategies and policies;
- Addresses problems in arising to current approaches to the relevant area;
- Engages stakeholders within the Members States and RECs in designing and implementing strategies;
- Represents the organization and explains its position at conferences;
- Mobilizes funding from all donors to use to execute strategies and activities;
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at the Division level;
- Creates an inspiring work environment to enable staff development and professional progression.
- Leads the technical development of continental policies and programs in the blue economy;
- Initiates and develops policies, strategies, and programmers that contribute to the goals of the Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy, and Sustainable Environment consistent with AUC vision and mandates;
- Provides support for the implementation of policies, strategies, and programs in terms of advocacy, coordination, and guidance that contribute to effective implementation of relevant AU decisions on matters related to Sustainable Environment;
- Provides overall guidance and management for the human, financial and material resources of the Sustainable Environment Division;
- Liaises with other departments of the AU Commission as well as RECs, Member States, and other relevant stakeholders to identify and promote synergies across initiatives and to ensure a coordinated development and implementation of such initiatives.
- Builds and strengthens strategic partnerships to harness technical and financial resources necessary for effective implementation of policies, strategies, and programs on a Sustainable Environment;
- Creates and strengthens various forums for stakeholders’ consultations, exchange of experiences, lessons, and capacity building; and represents the AUC in such forums.
- Prepares periodic reports on the implementation of programs of the Division;
- Represents the Directorate of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy in AU missions as well as in task forces/committees and meetings on matters of Sustainable Environment;
- Provides support to the Director of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy in preparing statements, proposals, reports, and other relevant tasks on Sustainable Environment;
- Leads the development and implementation of strategic initiatives and programs to contribute towards the achievement of AU/ARBE mandates, roles, and strategies;
- Oversees the development of mechanisms to enhance capacity for evidence-based planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation;
- Oversees strengthening capacity in terms of skills development, and streamlined/enhanced organizations, networks, and s stems;
- Oversees and strengthens partnerships with relevant development institutions and stakeholders
- Leads strategy for advocacy, and broadening support for initiatives, and resources mobilization for the implementation of the programs
- Ensures effective and efficient management of human, financial, and material resources at the disposal of the Division of Sustainable Environment;
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Director of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s degree in Sustainable Development, Biology, Natural Resources, Environmental Studies, Fisheries Management or related fields with 12 (twelve) years of relevant work experience working in progressively responsible positions, with 7 (seven) years of at managerial level and 5 (five) years at supervisory level.
- Experience working in a national or an international organization dealing with relevant sub-sectors under Sustainable Environment issues.
- Experience working in an international organization dealing with environmental issues.
- Leadership and management skills
- Interpersonal and Negotiation skills
- Analytical and research skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite and AU computer systems
- Communication, report writing, and presentation skills
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge and understanding of the policies, strategies and programs of AU
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (English, French, Arabic, and Portuguese) is a must. Knowledge of one or all of the other working languages would be an added advantage.
Drives Accountability Culture:
Communicating with impact:
Job Knowledge and information sharing:
Drive for result:
ENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.