International Rescue Committee
Position: Community Engagement and Development Officer
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Adama, Ethiopia
Posted date: 1 month ago
Application Deadline: Submition date is over
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recovery of livelihood of the disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions, and emergency response
IRC Ethiopia program is implementing a multi-year, EUTF supported project entitled, “LISEC-Green Jobs in Leather Sector in the Modjo town (Leather Initiative for Sustainable Economic Opportunities). Through programming in youth livelihoods/leadership, social cohesion, combating GBV, tailored capacity improvement of the community and local government and, the project is intended to contribute to strengthening social cohesion by supporting local economic and social development initiatives, especially for women and youth living in Modjo area; and improving industrial and labor relations in the MLC.
The Community Engagement and Development Officer (CED) Officer position is based in Adama, with frequent travel to the field project area. The incumbent reports to the project manager on day-to-day project management and implementation with complementary oversight from the Field coordinator/manager. He/she will provide implementation support, technical and project support to target beneficiaries in the whole project cycle implementation. The post holder will support and strengthen the planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the EU TF LISEC project in the Mojo area. He will collaborate closely with other project staff within IRC/ and consortium partner team, and among partner agencies, government, private sector, and community groups. She/he will give support to the program to ensure technically sound and complementary programming. The officers will ensure successful support for livelihoods programming which includes corporate social responsibility, community conversation, and employment initiatives, Village Savings and Loan Associations, micro-franchising, and other related activities.
Major job responsibilities:
Project implementation support, technical capacity building
- Provide support to the day-to-day implementation of the project related to capacity strengthening of community, Gender discussion group for women economic empowerment, and creating social cohesion among communities, tanneries, and municipalities.
- Work directly with community organization (CO) members to facilitate the implementation of community projects and design of sustainable strategies for operation and maintenance of resulting services.
- Support tanneries and community-based organizations to strengthen, design, and effectively implement comprehensive corporate social responsibility programs and create social cohesions along the triple bottom line economic, social, and ecological dimensions of business.
- Work on conducting community conversations to promote community-led development to have local needs, priorities, and initiatives integrated into community development planning for the implementation of local community development projects.
- Undertake initial stakeholder assessment (Identify existing social institutions, CBOs, for potential leveraging points) in the LLP sector in Modjo
- Ensure gender and protection concerns are mainstreamed across program activities in the LLP sector and at household, community, and institutional levels (business enterprise).
- Establish and strengthen project management committee (including common pool fund management).
- Support women Village Saving and Loan Association (VSLA) to improve the leadership and the capacity of women agency
- Organize gender discussion groups for saving group members and relatives on gender norms and how they function at the household level to encourage women’s economic participation both at home and in society at large.
- Work as a trainer and resource person in the training organized for the communities and other partners in the project implementation area.
- Promote project through stories, articles, and other PR activities, ensure implementation of Organization and donor visibility strategy
- Ensure appropriate methodologies and technical approaches are developed for all program activities
- Support the development of Standard Operating Procedures and Mentorship Notes for program activities
- Ensure regular monitoring and modification of ongoing programming as required.
- Work closely with the project manager/ERD officers/ other partners to ensure alignment of the project with the strategic plan and relevant theories of change of the plan.
Project Monitoring and Reporting
- Prepare relevant activity donor reports as per agreed-upon schedules (monthly, quarterly, and/or annually) on activities, indicators, and achievements.
- Work closely and coordinate with IRC logistics, finance, and grant staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures, including active participation in procurement, supply chain, grant, and other meetings
- Together with the project manager and Accountability and Learning manager/officers, develop and implement a full monitoring and evaluation framework for livelihoods and employment activities as well as learning strategies, and adapt them to the different program methodologies.
- Support the team to develop sound technical design and components of project proposals, business plans, and concept notes.
- Develop and maintain effective coordination and long-term mechanisms with external partners including partner agencies/NGOs, government departments and ministries, community-based organizations, private sector partners, donors, and others representing IRC /DAI positions.
- Actively advance IRC’s/DAI connections to economic actors/private sector at a local, regional, and national level, seeking avenues for partnership, collaboration, and coordination of activities to ensure the sustainability of interventions
- Together with the team leader/team members, regularly engage internally and externally (especially with a municipality)
- Participate in IRC and working groups and communities of practice around livelihoods to share strategies, disseminate research and program successes, discuss implementation challenges, and share standard methodologies
- Support the sharing of information and learning across livelihoods-related programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- MSc/BSc Degree in Community Development, Social Science, Environmental Science, International Development, and/or equivalent.
- Minimum work experience of 2 years for MSc Degree holders, 3 years for BSc Degree holders with communities for development activities.
- NGO experience is a plus.
Required Job Competencies:
- Demonstrated experience in community development activities, with specific experience in corporate social responsibility (CSR), community conversation (CC), and livelihoods development approaches.
- Proven private sector experience, or experience supporting community development initiatives
- Strong program/technical, team leadership skills, planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties
- INGO experience required, experience with coordination systems or advocacy preferable
- Must be capable of applying skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct data collection and analysis, implementation, advisory functions, training, and the transfer of technical knowledge and leadership skills to others
- Proficiency in English, Afaan Oromo, and Amharic language is required.
- The ability of basic computer skills mainly, MS word, Excel, internet, etc.
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment.
- Flexible and able to handle pressure well, has a strong sense of humor.