Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Position: Shelter Team Leader
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Posted date: 1 month ago
Application Deadline: Submition date is over
Reporting to: Emergency Response Manager
Job-Based at: Addis Ababa and all fields
Being an employee of the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Ethiopia the Shelter Team Leader is expected to represent NRC in a responsible manner and always act in accordance with NRC’s Code of Conduct.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The purpose of the Shelter Team Leader is to manage the Shelter project at the country office level and to support other NRC CCs in construction-related activities in the CO
- Management of shelter project
- Implement a plan of action for a delegated portfolio of Shelter projects (activities, budget and project documentation)
- Day to day follow of progress in project implementation
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs and returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Represent NRC in coordination meetings relevant to shelter programmes and acting as NRC’s focal person for the shelter programmes, if assigned by ERM.
- Keep close relationship with major actors at the area level (OCHA, UNHCR, other Shelter actors/Clusters, etc.)
- Ensure that NRC’s Emergency Shelter interventions are integrated always and in compliance with local norms and international standards.
- Coordinate with area office level NRC functions to run shelter activities smoothly
- Coordinate and manage staff to keep the team motivated and capacitated for better programming deliverables and improve staff duty of care
- Oversee all the technical aspects of Shelter, and construction (drawings, BoQs, Technical Specifications, feasibility in the field, etc.).
- Ensure that NRC beneficiary selection criteria are applied during beneficiary selection.
- Ensure that all activities are compliant with NRC and donor regulations, the donor agreement and implemented in a timely and effective manner.
- Assist the ERM in future programmes planning and proposal elaboration activities.
- Monitor the expenditures of the intervention and provide advice on potential budget revisions in a timely manner
- Participate in tendering, negotiating and contract to award
- Ensure logistic and construction components of program are operating in tandem to ensure timely and appropriate arrival and supply of materials
- Ensure that material delivered meets the contractual requirements as in quality and quantity
- Ensure accurate and complete filing of Shelter documents
- Design, develop and maintain monitoring and evaluation tools, provide orientation to the Shelter team on the utilization
- Assist the ERM in drafting external reports to donors, the Shelter Cluster and other parties
- Draft internal reports as required and requested by the ERM
- Provide technical support for construction activities to other NRC CCs during all stages of the PCM, during the implementation stage adhere to the PPA’s descriptions
- Any other tasks as delegated by the line manager
Generic professional competencies:
- Previous experience working in humanitarian/recovery context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills;
- Strong organizational and team-building skills
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, carry out multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Ability to work independently whenever required
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- BSc degree in Civil, Hydraulics and Architectural Engineering with 3 years & above experience in shelter Construction and WaSH responses
- Diploma in Building Construction/Civil Engineering with 4 years & above experience in shelter Construction
Specific experience in shelter construction is advantageous:
- Computer skills, especially in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Computer literacy of technical software (i.e. AUTOCAD, GIS, and EPANET) is an asset
- Ability in the English Language, (Written and Spoken)
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results