WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duty station: Addis Ababa. Adama, Assosa, Awassa, Dessie, Dire Dawa, Gambella, Puignido, Mekelle, Shire, Semera, Jijga, Gode, Kebridehar , Dollo Ado
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict, and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence, and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
WFP is recruiting a Logistics Assistant to replenish roasters in its Country Office(COs), Sub Office, and Field Offices. Eligibility to the roster and subsequent eligibility for contracts at the G.4 level will depend on candidates meeting the minimum requirements for the positions, the terms of references of the assignment, and the scores achieved in tests and interviews. The Job holders report to a Head of the Unit or the designate.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for the completion of a range of processes and activities requiring interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders can recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other staff.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Undergraduate degree (Bachelor's or equivalent) in a relevant area
Experience: Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in relevant professional experience in logistics operations, transport, supply chain, warehouse management, database management.
Knowledge & Skills:
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.
To implement well-defined standard logistics/supply chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all delivery modalities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Provide support to logistics operations and activities, following standard processes and facilitating, directly or indirectly, the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
2. Support timely ordering and delivery of commodities and supplies to authorized partners and destinations.
3. Support management of logistics vendors’ contracting activities including performance monitoring and measurement.
4. Respond to a variety of technical queries/requests for support, following standard processes, and obtaining guidance as required, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all inquiries with a high standard of a client service mindset.
5. Contribute to budget preparation, monitoring, and revision for all delivery modalities, ensuring adherence to relevant procedures and compliance with corporate standards.
6. Assist in monitoring inventory management processes to track trends and account for the inventory status from source to the beneficiary.
7. Assist in the management of commodity accounting data quality and integrity.
8. Support operational pipeline analyses, assessments, and operational planning for all delivery modalities.
9. Process documentation for the execution of logistics operations (e.g. customs clearance, invoice verification), take appropriate actions to resolve operational issues escalating various issues to the supervisor.
10. Collect and compile data, produce and/or contribute to reports (e.g. CCTI, SPRs, financial closure, physical inventory, transport performance) and ensure information accuracy in corporate systems in support of informed decision-making.
11. Liaise with an internal and limited number of external stakeholders to support efficient logistics operations management.
12. Guide other support staff, to assist them in completing standard tasks to agreed standards and deadlines.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
Capability Name Description of the behavior expected for the proficiency level
Supply Chain Management and Optimization Displays aptitude at monitoring and reporting on supply chain operations to enable teams to efficiently assess the performance and sustainability of current networks.
Planning, Project & Resource Management Supports the planning, forecasting & resource management efforts of own team by collecting data from diverse sources.
Information Management & Reporting
Collates accurate and timely information and data to enable informed decision-making on reporting within the individual units and consequently the greater humanitarian community.
Market Analysis, Contracting, and Operational Execution Ability to collect and collate necessary information to enable WFP to make informed operational decisions.
Warehouse and Inventory Management Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.
Technical Assistance and Coordination Demonstrates awareness of the importance of technical assistance and coordination with key stakeholders and an ability to carry out logistics activities, respecting individual mandates and program priorities.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience using corporate systems to monitor ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and food stock.
• Experience analyzing data (on commodities, funds, etc.) and drafting reports.
• Experience in measuring service providers’ performance against set KPIs.
• Experience in assisting the preparation of contract documentation.
• Experience in providing technical business support in corporate systems.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply