Danish Refugee Council
Position: WASH Specialist - Engineer
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: (1) for Shire and (2) for Shiraro (Kindly indicate clearly on your application for which duty station you would like to apply), Ethiopia
Posted date: 1 month ago
Application Deadline: Submition date is over
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, Gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Employment Category: G2
Reporting To: WASH Team Leader
Direct Reports: N/A
Start of Contract & Duration: 6 Months
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Under the direct supervision of the WASH Manager, and the WASH Engineer, and under the coordination of the WASH team leader Specialist will be in charge of all technical activities related to construction WASH infrastructure and will ensure the efficient and smooth implementation of the WASH projects in the targeted area.
- The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare plans, specifications and cost estimates of the prioritized construction works;
- Make sure that all required preparations are in place for technical estimates, design and resource management plan, prepare bid documents and support the project team for the bid selection;
- Implement effectively and within time and budget of the WASH project as per the project proposals and project requirements.;
- Develop and review project designs to ensure compliance with relevant standards, procedures, and codes;
- Develop and review BOQs and technical specifications;
- Ensure that accurate and detailed records of project matters are formulated and kept;
- Conduct site assessments and surveys;
- Ensure as far as possible the security of the project, of staff, and of equipment;
- Coordinate with beneficiary leaders to ensure community participation and ownership;
- Advice on procurement needs and submit all procurement request to the team leader;
- Provide on-site technical assistance to staffs, contractors or service providers and beneficiaries during the process of implementation, including management of construction activities;
- Prepare and submit regular progress reports and work plans to the WASH Team leader;
- Collate data from the communities and local partners and prepare reports for submission to WASH Team leader;
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector. This includes taking concerns regularly at every meeting with beneficiaries in the field and report as needed;
- Keep proper records of field expenditures when appropriate and report on these to the WASH Team leader;
- Coordinate and monitor water trucking tasks like: establishment of water distribution point; supply monitoring; quality monitoring; and reporting)
- Provide donor, government and weekly 5W matrix report timely
- Carry out other related tasks as directed by the line management;
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in coordination and supervision of WASH construction projects
- Strong knowledge and experience in engineering and construction projects with related processes like tendering of works, monitoring of construction sites, etc.
- Knowledge and experience in GIS/GPS and AutoCAD
- Previous work experience in refugee/IDP settings and complex emergencies is an asset.
- Familiarity with the SPHERE Project and Minimum Standards
- Leadership and supervisory skills and ability to foster team spirit
- Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate and manage a diverse array of activities and stakeholders
- Strong facilitation, negotiation and mediation skills and ability to work independently
- Report writing skills and computer skills in word processing and spreadsheets. Skills in technical drawings software (preferably AutoCAD) and project management software are desirable.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong sense of security management and willingness to follow security guidelines and regulations
- Commitment to ensuring the protection of IDPs
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Commitment to concern equal opportunity and gender practices
Education (include certificates, licenses, etc.):
- A University degree in Civil, hydraulic, water resource or environmental engineering or directly related field
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English.
- Tigrigna (Overall fluency required)
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for Excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values