Position: Project Assistant - UN Women and ILO Joint Programme: Promoting Decent Employment for Women through investments in inclusive growth policies and Investments in Care Economy
Job Time: Full-Time
Job Type: Contract
Place of Work: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Posted date: 1 month ago
Application Deadline: Submition date is over
UN Women is the United Nations organization dedicated to promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women. As a global advocate for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress in improving the lives of women and responding to the needs they face around the world.
UN Women supports United Nations Member States in setting international standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to create the laws, policies, programs and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and that they truly benefit women and girls around the world. It focuses on five priority areas:
- Increasing women's leadership and participation;
- Ending violence against women;
- Involving women in all aspects of peace and security processes;
- Improve women's economic empowerment;
- Make gender equality central to national planning and budgeting for development.
Two international agreements are the basis of UN Women's work: the Beijing Platform for Action, which resulted from the Fourth World Conference on Women in 1995, and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, considered to be the fundamental declaration of women's rights. The spirit of these agreements was reaffirmed in the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agreed by UN member states for 2030, particularly in SDG 5 "Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls".
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide administrative and financial support to UN Women’s activities in the framework of the Joint Programme “Promoting decent employment for women through inclusive growth policies and investments in the care economy in Ethiopia”.
SCOPE OF THE WORK: ROLES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
UN Women’s Programme Assistant will support administratively and financially the implementation of UN Women’s components within the ILO and UN Women Joint Programme “Promoting decent employment for women through inclusive growth policies and investments in the care economy” to be implemented in Ethiopia. The Programme Assistant will report to the UN Women’s Project Expert and will work in collaboration with UN Women’s operation and programme teams, as well as with ILO’s focal points.
Provide logistical and administrative support for the implementation of the JP’s components under UN Women's responsibility:
- Support and monitor the logistical and administrative execution of UN Women’s activities within the JP;
- Prepare the necessary documentation for the proper execution of the JP, such as reports, notes, minutes of meetings, terms of reference, schedules, budgets, among others;
- Participate, support and organize meetings, workshops, webinars, and any event relevant for the implementation of the JP;
- Support and monitor UN Women's internal procedures for the implementation of the JP, such as procurement and acquisitions, travel arrangements (if necessary), hiring processes, among others;
- Receive correspondence and articulate the response with counterparts;
- Assist in drafting progress/narrative reports;
- Maintain regular communication with UN Women’s project Expert, as well as with the programme and operation team, and ILO’s focal points;
- Keep an updated physical and digital archive of all JP’s documentation;
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Support the management of JP's accounting services and financial supervision:
- Support the JP’s buying processes;
- Follow up payment processes, from the collection of supporting documentation to the request of voucher’s creation;
- Support the registration of new contracts and vendors;
- Generate the JP's database, such as contacts, suppliers, staff and counterparts;
- Monitor and ensure expenditures are aligned with budget lines
- Prepare UN Women’s financial reports related to the JP, including internal financial status updates, and the annual financial inputs as stated in the joint programme donor agreement, according to established formats;
- Support the JP in the monthly reconciliation of expenses.
Support the JP's knowledge management under UN Women responsibility:
- Support the production of knowledge products, coordinating the editing and layout process with suppliers;
- Support the dissemination of JP’s knowledge products in strategic spaces at the local, national and regional levels, as well as within UN Women’s communities of practice.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Payments are processed on time and according to UN Women’s requirements and procedures.
- Hiring processes are carried out as scheduled and according to UN Women’s requirements and procedures.
- Quality and timely reporting.
- Excellent relations with partners and stakeholders.
- Regular and timely monitoring of activities.
- Proper management of JP’s knowledge products as required
The Programme Assistant will report to the UN Women JP Project Expert in Ethiopia and work in close collaboration with the JP Pogramme Global Manager and UN Women Ethiopia programme teams
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Cultural Sensitivity and Valuing Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Organizational Awareness
- Development and Innovation
- Work in teams
- Communicating and Information Sharing
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence
- Conflict Management
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the Programme unit including logistical support;
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
- Creates edits and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client's perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
- Ability to administer and execute financial processes and transactions;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow
Required Skills and Experience
- Full university degree in business administration, accounting or related discipline.
- At least two years of work experience in administration, programme support, finance or accounting;
- Experience of inter-institutional work and dialogue with strategic actors (Government/Civil Society/International Cooperation);
- Demonstrable knowledge or work experience in projects addressing gender and/or social security policies;
- Proficiency of key Windows programs (Microsoft Office package);
- working knowledge of oral and written English.
- UN Women takes no responsibility and only describes one of the many ways to compress the documents related to the application. You may use whichever one you deem appropriate.
- Applications received incomplete or after the closing date will not be considered.
- UN Women is committed to achieving diversity in employment in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
- Persons from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.